Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what can a vegetarian eat-ryoken oita 2008/7/21 00:18
idon take any meat, seafood,onion,garlic but I do take eggs and dairy prod.
by jaqlin  

... 2008/7/21 11:25
I assume you mean at a "ryokan in Oita."

It would be advisable for you to contact the specific ryokan in advance to communicate your requirements and to ask if they can accommodate them - in general, it might be difficult because fish soup stock (for flavoring base) is often used in many Japanese dishes as well. And Oita is renowned for their seafood and good local beef as well...

If you cannot find one, it might be better to look for western style hotels, or at least places that have "buffet" style restaurant. There at least you can "see" at a glance what you are getting and select yourself.
by ... rate this post as useful

veg @ oita ryoken 2008/7/21 23:52
Any suggestions on which ryoken would be able to meet my specifications?
Thanks for the reply.
by jaqlin rate this post as useful

Hi 2008/7/22 16:27
Hi yes some Ryokans can make vegetarian food but you need to ask them in advance. I have been successful in a few different places. If you can not speak Japanese it could be difficult. Also if you don't know much about Japanese food it could add to your difficulty.

I don't know for sure but one possiblity is to book the Ryokan via a tourist information centre. They definately used to do bookings and recommend places.
They speak English and can as the Ryokan for you.

The staff there maybe won't understand the idea or vegetarianism or have some resistance to asking but if you persist they probably will ask for you.

http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/PROFILE/policy08.htm
by Gareth rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/7/22 21:40
Hey guys....thanks for the tips. I will definately find it useful. Pls let me know if anyone else has any further tips, or would like to share their experiences with me. This is my second time to Japan....going to Fukuoka.
by jaqlin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread