Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to send bicycle from Osaka to Tokyo 2008/7/25 00:21
Good day.

I just would like to ask whether anyone knows how to send a bicycle from Osaka to Tokyo area.

It is a foldable (oritatami) type of bike which has a 20 inch wheel.

I tried putting it inside a box and I think the size of the box was around 190 cm.

Do you happen to know how I will be able to move and around how much it will cost?

There's a near post office here but it would be difficult to me to send it to the post office manually or by foot and they said that they have a max 170cm box dimension for them to send it. If it goes over that, they won't be able to send it.

Hoping for your help.

Thanks

by jonathan  

Bike 2008/7/25 13:12
I think you'd be much better off and save yourself a huge headache if you just sell your current bike and spend that money on a new one at your new location. That is... unless you have a really expensive bike that you would protect with your life.
by Bud rate this post as useful

Takuhaibin 2008/7/25 14:46
Jonathan,

Just contact your local takuhaibin service (Kuroneko Yamato, Pelican, etc). You can take the bike to a convenience store for pickup, or they will even pick up from your home. At a very rough guess, it will probably be around 5,000 yen, so there is certainly no need to think about selling your bike and getting a new one.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/25 17:08
http://www.008008.jp/kazai/service/rate.html

For example, this is Kuroneko Yamato delivery service company's page on delivering single household item, such as a fan, school desk, air conditioner, washing machine, etc. If the dimensions (H + L + D) are within 200cm, it can be shipped from Kansai (Osaka) to Kanto (Tokyo) for 4,100. If you have the original cover for it to fit into, it should be fine. You might have to pay a bit extra for insurance or for extra cover. They have rates up to 300cm size, so bicycles are no problem :)
by AK rate this post as useful

rinkan bag 2008/7/25 22:46
If you're going by train, you can take the bike in a rinkan bag. Isn't that the whole purpose of a foldable bike? Otherwise, I would use the conbini service.

by Natsuki rate this post as useful

Thanks for the replies 2008/7/25 23:58
To Bud,
-- I think you'd be much better off and save yourself a huge headache if you just sell your current bike and spend that money on a new one at your new location.

Yes, I'm actually weighing my options, and from the rates of sending it, I think I will be much better off selling it.
Thanks for the reply, do appreciate it.

To Dave in Saitama,
-- Just contact your local takuhaibin service (Kuroneko Yamato, Pelican, etc).

This was the point I didn't know actually. How to send it (for pick-up) and the cost, so thank you for the info.
Based on AK's reply below, it will cost me 4,100. So the 5K estimate was on the park. :)

To AK,
-- http://www.008008.jp/kazai/service/rate.html

Thank you very much for the link.
I'll be using this in the future.

To Natsuki,

-- If you're going by train, you can take the bike in a rinkan bag. Isn't that the whole purpose of a foldable bike?
Funny you asked. My very first intention for buying a foldable bike was to send it overseas back home in the Philippines.
I should have bought a smaller one. :)

Anyway, thank you very much for your replies. I got the answers (what my options are) I needed and more.
by Jonathan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread