Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka vs Tokyo 2008/7/25 14:48
For anyone who has lived in Japan, I was wondering if you could describe what its like living in a place like Osaka compared to Tokyo. I sort of have an idea of what Tokyo is like, I heard its really clean and convenient with good nightlife, and the most populated city in Japan. However, I havn't heard much about Osaka. What is it like?

Is Tokyo like New York where everyone is busy and doesn't want to be bothered? Are the people in Osaka more friendly?
What's the nightlife like?

Also, does anyone know anything about applying to work in Japan from the US? If I were to look for work once I got to Japan instead, would that mean I would have to travel there on a tourist visa and then change to a working visa?

I hope that wasn't too many questions at once :D Any help is appreciated, thank you.
by David  

Osaka vs Tokyo 2008/7/26 00:45
Tokyo's advantage:
No.1 city in Japan for modern city life

Osaka's advantage:
not No.1 city for modern city life, but still very large metropolis srrounded by Japan's top historical cities and attractions.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Osaka 2008/7/26 02:26
I prefer Osaka to Tokyo as it isn't as big as Tokyo yet much bigger than most of the towns most of us live in. Therefore it has lots of stores, restaurants, clubs etc. With 6 big department stores, several big underground malls, covered shopping streets, thousands of restaurants and bars just in the Kita + Namba areas (30 minutes walk from one another) you can always find something to do. Osaka is served by 8 subway lines and 1/2 dozen different rail companies fan out in the Kansai. It is also the heart of a very interesting area that includes Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Himeji and many more towns, all close to Osaka. Check www.osaka-info.jp/en/
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Tokyo & Osaka 2008/7/26 07:31
"is Tokyo like New York where everyone is busy and doesn't want to be bothered? Are the people in Osaka more friendly?"

This is actually the stereotype of the two cities- Osaka people are thought to be more outgoing and gregarious, and Tokyo people more reserved, but as you have millions of people in each city, you will meet all kinds of people in both.

Visually they are not very different- both are modern, concrete cities with efficient transportation, good nightlife, lots of shops and restaurants etc. Osaka people will tell you the food is better there!
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread