Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wondering around for a year 2008/7/27 00:52
I have saved enough money to goto Japan and travel around for a year without having to work. The purpose is to experance all of Japan and maybe write a book. What kind of Visa do I need?
by Dave03  

wandering 2008/7/27 04:49
You can't. Tourists visas are for 90 days at most. You could try to get a student visa but need to go to school, not WANDERING (one is wondering if one can go wandering around)
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

The 2008/7/27 04:59
other option is to go on tourist visa and "get lost" for year, nobody will be looking for you there-just go and forget stupid paperwork.
by Module rate this post as useful

1 year 2008/7/27 06:49
Except that the visa is stapled inside the passport and the immigration staff check and remove the second half on your departure.... god luck explaining what you did all this time. By the way you need at least US 100 a day (travel, food, hostels etc.) or $ 36,500 for the year..
by sensei 2 rate this post as useful

many consequences 2008/7/27 07:20
Overstaying would almost certainly result in a ban on re-entering Japan for up to 5 years, possibly a couple of weeks in detention, and very likely a flag on your passport as a potential overstayer which other countries would see, so not really such good advice there.

If you are eligible for a working holiday visa (search on this site for info) then you can stay a year, if not, 90 days as above. If you take a ferry/ fly to Korea and back you may be given another 90 days but you wouldn't be able to get more than that.
by Sira rate this post as useful

It 2008/7/27 07:40
all will depend on your preferences, your life style in general. Apart from worries about stupid paperwork you should think about wonderful time you can have. Maybe, after year you decide never go back.
by Module rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/7/27 13:52
Thanks for responding. I shall look into the advice that has been given.
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread