Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping Question 2008/7/29 15:20
Hi there, it's me again. I have a quick question about shopping. I will be spending some extra days in the Tokyo area, most likely, with the intent to look at museums and to shop for stuff. I am particularly interested in crafty supplies and clothes/jewellery/shoes. I am a petite 20 something woman, and I will be shopping for myself mostly. My question is the following: I know that pricey designer labels and stuff are a big deal in some of the trendier areas, but I am concerned that I will not find really unusual, Japanese style things there. Is there a particular neighborhood or store you can direct me to for some goodies unlike the ones I can get at home in North America? Also, I like toys and character goods very much. From what I understand Kiddyland is where it's at. True?

Please and thank yous,
-Meghan
by Meghan  

shopping 2008/8/1 05:14
Kiddyland is definitely the best toy store in the world!
As for Japanese fashions, first have a look at a couple of big department stores then browse small boutiques at random. There must be several thousands of them in Tokyo alone so it isn't really possible to recommend a few. Just looking at the window display of a store will show you their style (young trendy, classical mature etc.) without having to go in.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Kamata 2008/8/2 20:31
You can find numerous craft supply shops in Kamata, which is about 8 stops from Tokyo station on the JR Keihin-Tohoku line.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/4 03:01
Not sure exactly what you or after, but I think walking around Ebisu and Nakameguro areas may be interesting. Young and hip area, but most of the boutiques are not Harajuku young.

Most of the shops are pricey, but it's not like Gucci or Prada pricey by any means, and now is a good time for sales.

http://www.superfuture.com/city/area/area.cfm?area=28&city=1
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/8/4 03:21
Thanks so much for all your replies!
by Meghan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread