Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Registration of second wife 2008/7/30 04:19
I have a wife with three children.I was living overstay/allegally in Japan with my Japanese girlfriend.In 2002 i came back to my country.My Japanese girlfriend came three time to Pakistan and we want to marry.I just want to know that,Will Japanese government/municiple government register my marriage because i already have a wife?And Can i get spouse visa?
by ahmad  

Marriage 2008/7/30 10:50
Ahmad,

If you plan to marry in Japan, then you will have to prove that you are unmarried before you can register the marriage. If you marry in Pakistan, then it may well be possible to register the marriage in Japan without too much difficulty. To obtain a spouse visa, however, you will have to prove that your marriage is genuine, and this may involve detailed background checks by the Immigration Bureau if it is suspected that your marriage is purely for visa purposes. If you have a previous history of overstaying in Japan, then your application could quite possibly be turned down on the spot.
Also, does your girlfriend know that you are already married and have children?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Registering of merriage 2008/7/31 02:10
yes my Japanese girlfriend know well that i am married and have three children.
by Ahmad rate this post as useful

Divorce 2008/7/31 05:23
Aren't you going to divorce your wife before marrying another?
by John rate this post as useful

I'd say it could be difficult 2008/7/31 16:29
There are two ways for a Japanese and non-Japanese couple to get married/have their marriage registered in Japan. (1) Get married in Japan
under Japanese law, or (2) get married outside Japan under another country's law and report the marriage after the fact to the Japanese authorities (either through embassy or physically in Japan).

Since Japan does not recognize more than one wife at one time, you do not have choice (1). For marriages in Japan, you need to be single (and have to prove it) and of course of grown-up age. Your only chance would be (2), meaning, to get married in Pakistan under the Pakistani law (which allows more than one wives, I am assuming?), and report the marriage to Japanese authorities later as "married under Pakistani law."

And normally you would bring your country's marriage certificate (together with Japanese translation) to report the marriage later in Japan - and I do not know exactly which certificate will be recognized as "official" certificate from Pakistan. The city halls in Japan has samples of marriage
certificates from different countries and states, and they check your certificate against the samples to check that they match. And if they
recognize it, your marriage to her will be entered into her "koseki," Japanese family registry. I do not know whether they ask people from countries where multiple marriages are allowed if they have another wife.

And as Dave in Saitama mentioned, with an overstaying record in Japan, your background check could be quite thorough, with the result that they may reveal your first marriage - then your intention for marriage might come into question.
by AK rate this post as useful

Registering of second wife 2008/8/1 00:55
I am not going to divorce my first wife because i love my kids.Living overstay in Japan is no issue because i was there six years ago.And more i have no intention to keep secret my first marriage.
by Ahmad rate this post as useful

Short answer 2008/8/1 01:37
I think the short answer is NO, they will nto recognize your "second" marriage. The vast majority of countries won't recognize more than one marriage at a time.
But since you already have shown that you are willing to break Japanese law, why are you worried about it??????
by c rate this post as useful

Why hasn't..... 2008/8/1 02:14
...your Japanese girlfriend done the research for you? Surely she has access to the resources to obtain the answer for you.
by BWinc rate this post as useful

answered 2008/8/1 07:22
Well, you have your answer. The laws in Japan are different to those of your own country. If you make your first marriage known then your second marriage most likely won't be recognised in Japan, therefore you won't get a spouse visa.

Checking with the Japan Embassy in Pakistan seems like a good idea- they can give you the most accurate information.
by Sira rate this post as useful

registering of second wife 2008/8/1 23:19
Thank you for all of your attention.My Japanese girlfriend is trying t get information about the matter.I am too.I also think the city government will registor my second marriage because they will register only my second wife.They do not need to registor my both wife.My first wife will not go to registor her marriage in Japan.The only confusion in my mind is to keep secret my first marriage OR declare.If i will tell the city government that ,this is my second marriage.What will there reaction(although i will register onlly one wife there).
by ahmad rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/2 00:13
You do not seem to understand. As Japanese law does NOT allow a man marrying two women, if they find out that you are already married to one woman, the Japanese authorities will not recognize your marriage to your second wife as a valid marriage, no matter what your country's laws might say.

Please keep in mind that what is allowed under one set of laws may not be allowed under the laws of another country AT ALL.
by ... rate this post as useful

registering of second wife 2008/8/2 14:05
My opinion is that this is a legal matter.How the city government can refuse to register the marriage (if a person have two or three wife outside the Japan).Because the person is asking to register one wife in Japan.I think tthe city government have no right to object about a person,another wife or any thing outside Japan.They need to care rules only in Japan,where i want to register only my one wife.Am i right?

No you are wrong 2008/8/2 15:07
If you are legally married in another country, then you are legally married as far as Japan is concerned. Hence, you second marriage would not be recognized since you are already legally married to your first wife. Very few countries recognize or acknowledge polygamy, which is what you are talking about.

Japanese officials have every right to refuse you a spouse visa, it is THEIR country after all.
by . rate this post as useful

registering of second wife 2008/8/3 00:32
Suppose the city government will not register my second wife but what happen if after marriage we make a Japanese child?then they again refuse to register my marriage and my visa application?

... 2008/8/3 08:08
ahmad,

The child will be entered into your Japanese wife's "koseki" (family register), and your name as the natural father will be noted too, if you declare that the child is yours.

I think it will be useful for you to find a different discussion group/forum dedicated to Muslim culture and family matters - I heard that there is such group (in Japanese) among Yahoo! groups, so please ask your girlfriend to look into it. I am sure she will find some specific, more precise information from other Japanese wives who have been in similar situatioin.
by ... rate this post as useful

Second wife 2008/8/3 08:10
Ahmad,

Suppose the city government will not register my second wife but what happen if after marriage we make a Japanese child?

Nothing will happen. Many unmarried couples have children these days, and having a child doesn't magically make you married - Japanese or not.

then they again refuse to register my marriage and my visa application?

So long as you remain married to your first wife, yes.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Re: Registration of second wife 2016/8/27 12:40
hello iam javid living in india state hydrabad iam self employ mobile buisness run since 15 years i like japanese
by javid (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread