Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

noob's translation request 2008/7/30 09:47
I've wondered how to translate this sentence:

For your sins, I punish you by sending you to hell.

I'm not sure how to translate the first part of the sentence. I don't think the preposition 'for' can be translated into any Japanese particle, or am I wrong?

Should I change the 1st part to 'because of your sins' ? To make it easier to translate.

Let me have a go at it.

Omae no tsumi kara, ore wa omae o jigoku ni okuru de bassuru.

Can anyone verify this statement? Thank you.
by Zyzzyva  

,,, 2008/7/30 18:05
For your sins, I punish you by sending you to hell.

i use "ore" for I, "omae" for you as well as you, and try eg sentence.... something like this...
but these words are very rude and colloqell, if you use them actually , should be very careful

omae wa (taihen-na) tsumi wo okasitanode ore wa omae wo jigoku okuri no kei ni shiteyaru!!
by im rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/30 19:27
I assume you want to use it in a novel or cartoon or something, anyway, a dramatic line in a fiction :) This is in a dramatic but at the same time matter-of-fact manner (as if someone with authority is saying this):

- Omae no okashita tsumi ni yori, batsu to toshite omae wo jigoku ni okuru.
(Due to the sin(s) you've commited, as punishment (I) send you to hell.)
or
- (Omae no) Okashita tsumi no batsu to shite, omae wo jigoku ni okuru. (As punishment for the sin(s) (you've) commited, (I) send you to hell.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Whoops, a typo! 2008/7/30 19:28
Please correct the first sentence:
Omae no okashita tsumi ni yori, batsu to *shite* omae wo jigoku ni okuru

Ermm.... 2008/7/31 14:37
Umm. Actually, thatfs not my main aim. I just want to know if it is possible to translate the clause efor your sinsf directly into Japanese without having to change the sentence structure. I guess that canft be done then.
By the way, is my sentence grammatically okay? Thanks anyway. Next time when Ifm somehow involved in any drama or fiction writing, I know where to refer to. ^.^
by Zyzzyva rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/31 16:13
Then "...ni yori" (because of...., due to...) or "...no tame ni" (for the sake of..., for (someone), because of...) would be the phrase that is closest to what you were looking for.

If you come to think of it, the English preposition "for" has soooooooooooo many different meanings that it would be impossible to come up with one word that corresponds to it fully (or almost fully) in meaning in Japanese :)

onaji yo 2008/8/4 07:56
Hey. The same goes for Japanese ni... In fact, it is more that any preposition in English... =p

By the way, just one more question concerning 'for'

How about the 'for' as in for how long eg: 'for 3 months'? How do i put it in Jap?

Thanks.

... 2008/8/4 08:18
How about the 'for' as in for how long eg: 'for 3 months'? How do i put it in Jap?

"For three months" would simply be "san-kagetsu" or "san-kagetsu kan." (This "kan" at the end is a kanji that means "duration.") For example:
- Nihon ni kuru mae ni, san-kagetsu Nihongo wo benkyo shimashita. (I studied Japanese for three months before coming to Japan.

BTW, please do not use "Jap" as an abbreviation - I know you are referring to the language, and the word is a long one to spell out, but please avoid using it...

...... 2008/8/4 22:20
......okay. Sorry, and thanks a lot. ;)

Remorse 2008/8/4 22:29
Ummc Ifm very, very sorry, AK. I just checked the dictionary. Now I understand. Before this, I did not have the faintest idea that the word is tabooed and offensive. No ill feelings meant when I used it. I apologize. I will not use it again.

... 2008/8/4 22:35
You don't have to apologize... I knew no offense was meant :) it's just that... well, some people say that it is a common abbreviation for "Japanese" in UK and in some other countries, and maybe I shouldn't be raising my eyebrows every time I see it... but anyway now you know how that word *could* sound like to some people :) Thank you for taking the trouble to post again!

reply to this thread