Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Writing only in kana 2008/7/31 01:50
I've studied japanese for 2 years and feel quite proficient in kana but kanji are still new to me.

Theres a really nice looking ryokan (Gorokaku) in oigami onsen but it has no english website and is not listed on sites such as japanguesthouses.

Could I email them in kana without kanji? I imagine it would be better than writing in 'romanji' (I cringe when people type "arigatou gozaimasu") but would it be acceptable/legible in kana?
I know a childrens manga (Yotsuba&) written only in kana because the children don't yet know kanji.
by Mark  

... 2008/7/31 16:24
I think it would be fine - it would help them in any case! :)

Just be sure you have the encoding right, and that you leave some space in between some words (like you would do when writing in romaji) - when Japanese text is written only in kana and the text is all packed together, it can be somewhat difficult to tell the words apart.

I don't mean that you put space in between EVERY words, but maybe write something like:

わたしの なまえは マークです。りょかんの よやくを おねがいします。?がつ?にちから ふたりで 2はくです。 よろしく おねがいします。

instead of:
わたしのなまえはマークです。りょかんのよやくをおねがいします。 ?がつ?にちからふたりで2はくです。よろしくおねがいします。
by AK rate this post as useful

Draft 2008/8/4 22:57
Here is my attempted email. My name is given already. As this is my first time actually using Japanese outside of the classroom i'm a little nervous so would be grateful if anyone could give it a quick check. I've used the few kanji I know and hope it is understandable and would give them an idea of my japanese level if they reply in japanese.

すみません、私は かんじを 少しだけ できます、イギリス人 です。蘭を おねがいしたいです。8月30日に 一人で 一夜間 いいですか。
よろしく おねがいします。
by Mark rate this post as useful

no problem 2008/8/5 10:55
not a problem but you might want to explain why you're doing it at the start of the mail.

also the correct term is romaaji.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

...scrambled message 2008/8/5 22:35
Umm, I send the message, there was a contact form on the japanese website so not a direct email but it emailed me a copy of the query. However in my copy the message has been severly scrambled from:

蘭を おねがいしたいです。 8月30日に 一人で 一夜間 いいですか。 私は 二処鼾ホ イギリス人です。 私は 日本語を 二年間 べんきょうをしましたが、 かんじを 少しだけ できます。
よろしく おねがいします。

Into this:

莠育エ・r縲€縺翫・縺後>縺励◆縺・〒縺吶€ゅ€€・俶怦・難シ先律縺ォ縲€荳€莠コ縺ァ縲€荳€螟憺俣縲€縺・>縺ァ縺吶°縲ゅ€€遘√・縲€莠悟香荳€豁ウ縲€繧、繧ョ繝ェ繧ケ莠コ縺ァ縺吶€ゅ€€遘√・縲€譌・譛ャ隱槭r縲€莠悟ケエ髢薙€€縺ケ繧薙″繧・≧繧偵@縺セ縺励◆縺後€√€€縺九s縺倥r縲€蟆代@縺縺代€€縺ァ縺阪∪縺吶€・繧医m縺励¥縲€縺翫・縺後>縺励∪縺吶€・

Is this likely a problem with my email only, or will the message be received by the ryokan like that?
I have no idea why this has happened. I wrote the message in Wordpad then copied/pasted into the form on the website and it all looked fine. I use hotmail if that could be problem. Even if it reched the ryokan correctly will any response get similiarly scrambled?

Please help if anyone knows what probably went wrong.

encoding 2008/8/6 08:35
your browser's encoding is screwed up
make sure it's set to encode in one of the japanese encoding sets rather than english or utf-8

and 2008/8/6 08:36
and yes it will look screwed up if they receive it like that.

Phew! 2008/8/6 10:21
Thank you so much winterwolf.

The problem was indeed that I was on the translated version of the webpage so the encoding had switched back to unicode (dumb of me). I sent the message (with added apology) from the original japanese version after checking encoding and it seems to have gone fine. Hopefully they won't be put off by my earlier failure. Thank you again :)

reply to this thread