Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iced tea available in US? 2008/8/2 09:27
On a recent trip I found myself quite addicted to the iced teas (made by Asahi, Kirin, etc.) that are widely available in vending machines and convenience stores throughout Japan. Does anyone know whether these are available in the US, possibly by mail order or in specialty stores? Would appreciate any input.
by DH  

gogono kocha 2008/8/2 20:06
one of Japanese iced tea on net shop I found http://www.animecastle.com/pc-118396-22406-gogo-no-kocha-str...
by bobo rate this post as useful

Iced tea 2008/8/2 22:09
DH,

If it is the Kirin "Gogo no kocha" you like, it would be a lot cheaper to make your own iced tea and just chuck in a load of sugar.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

tea 2008/8/3 00:46
I'm going to assume you mean cold green tea, or barley tea

This is the Ito En USA page. You can order 'Oi Ocha' and have it sent to your home.

But if you live near Asian/Japanese food stores, they will have it

If you meant cold bottled western tea, either sweetened or not, they will probably have that as well
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

tea 2008/8/3 01:27

Thanks 2008/8/4 06:15
Yes, referring to the cold teas (unsweetened) in individual sizes that are found throughout Japan. Unfortunately Americans seem to have a fascination with iced teas that are all too sweet (e.g., Snapple).
by DH rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/4 06:53
I've been doing a lot of googling, and Mitsuwa, a Japanese grocery chain in the US does NOT have bottled green tea or barley tea for sale on their online store.

I don't know where you live, but if you can find a Japanese grocery near you, that would be the obvious choice. Korean stores MAY have them as well.

FYI- outside Japan, these bottles are not cheap. It's 2.50 to almost 3 bucks for a bottle of Suntory or Ito En bottled tea at the Japanese stores in NY where I shop. While you can order Oi Ocha on the Ito En site I linked above, you can also buy green tea bags, or proper loose green tea, brew it, and put it in your fridge and drink it cold.

Also, mugicha (barley tea, though tehnically there is no tea in it, just made of dried roasted barley) can be bought in bags and brewed at home in a pitcher.

hope this helps 2008/8/4 07:01
http://www.asahitea.com/Green_Tea_and_The_Health_Benefit_of_...

http://www.amazon.com/Ito-En-Japanese-16-9-Ounce-Bottles/dp/...

also, Ito En America makes something called 'tea's tea', which is available at many grocery stores like Whole Foods

and again, if you can find a japanese grocery near you, they will have various powders too make cold green tea, or, just buy bagged or loose tea and brew it yourself

Thanks again 2008/8/4 11:20
I ordered the Ito En green teas on Amazon. With the promotional discount and free shipping it came to $40 total for 24 bottles (two cases), which seems quite reasonable. Look forward to trying them. Thanks for the help!
by DH rate this post as useful

reply to this thread