Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meaning of Aitakunatta 2008/8/2 20:43
Hello mates!

i have an important question regarding certain phrase in japanese.
Well, my good good....goooood friend said this to me.

"kimi ga aitakunatta." ‰ï‚¢‚½‚­‚È‚Á‚½

So i was wondering..
Is this the negative form of "Au" (meet) verb, meaning Aitakunai (past), or is it different.
I really have to know, its kind of importnant haha.

cheers!
by Master of disaster  

... 2008/8/3 17:26
First of all, I think it should be: "Kimi ni aitakunatta."

- "kimi ni au" = to see you
- "kimi ni aitai" = I want to see you ("want to" form of "au")
- "kimi ni aitakunaru" = I become wanting to see you = I get the feeling that I want to see you
- "kimi ni aitakunatta" = I became wanting to see you = I've got the feeling/I feel that I want to see you

If it's really "Kimi ga" that means "You want to see" but I wonder if it makes sense in the context.
by AK rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/8/3 21:34
Its me, creator of the thread, i just registered....

Yes my bad, it was supposed to say

Kimi ni aitakunatta.

I automatically typed ga T.T, im used to it haha.
Well sir AK, I am really grateful for your anwser.
Makes more sense now.

Thank you again
by domogaijin rate this post as useful

aa 2008/8/4 02:28
One more thing if I may...
How would one say:
"The thing I fear the most, is that you will forget me" : )?

... 2008/8/4 07:25
"The thing I fear the most, is that you will forget me"
- Watashi ga ichiban osorete iru no wa, anata ni wasurerareru koto desu. (The this I fear most is being forgotten by you.)

This sentence is polite speech, and since your friend used "kimi" to refer to you, I am assuming you are a girl, thus in YOUR sentence using "watashi" to refer to "I" and "anata" for "you."

oh noes 2008/8/4 21:54
Well, actually Im a man T.T
I just replaced my name with kimi, i guess i should have used watashi hehe.

... 2008/8/4 22:39
OK, sorry, so you are a guy :) you can still use the sentence given earlier (fully polite speech with quite polite pronouns), OR, you could replace "watashi ga" with "boku ga" and "anata ni" with "kimi ni" if you are a young male saying this sentence to his girlfriend :)

a 2008/8/6 02:22
Haha you got me right there ;D
Well, Ive got a tip not to use boku if im a gaijin, for it sounds weird to japanese.
Is that correct?
I usually use ore, or in polite cases watakushi....

... 2008/8/7 22:23
Well, Ive got a tip not to use boku if im a gaijin, for it sounds weird to japanese.
Is that correct?

I don't think "boku" sounds weird if used by foreigners... but my idea is that "boku" sound like a "boy," OR "trying to sound young" lol. Guys do want to use "ore" to sound "like a real man." "Watashi" would be fine in polite speech in any case :) Well, I'm Japanese woman in my early 40s, so younger people might have different ideas...

. 2008/8/8 07:41
I'm afraid "ore" may sound weirder than "boku" by a foreigner. "ore" is a rough word and you may be regarded as an impolite or uneducated person if you use it carelessly.

"boku" sounds more or less like a boy, but is much safer than "ore".

"watakushi" is too formal in daily use.
by meringue4 (Japanese guy) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread