Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit Card 2008/8/13 02:53
How can I get a credit card in Japan? I've tried before, but it was rejected. Can I get a debit card through the bank?
by Joe  

Credit card 2008/8/13 09:54
Joe,

You need to shop around. Traditionally, Saison Card (through the Post Office) was always very gaijin-friendly.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Bad Timing 2008/8/17 18:46
The banks are having a bit of a hard time again because of the credit crisis that started in the U.S. Unless, you have a substantial net worth, I would wait to appy for a card.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/17 20:06
I've tried before, but it was rejected.

What card?

Bank-issued cards (e.g. Sumitomo Mitsui Visa) are said to be stricter than others (e.g. Jaccs, Saison).

Can I get a debit card through the bank?

If you have a Japanese bank account, your ATM card ("cash card") works as a debit card.

Saison Card (through the Post Office) was always very gaijin-friendly.

As Japan Post has been privatized, Saison Card is no longer affiliated with it.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Visa 2008/8/17 20:18
Get a visa card in your own country (by net or post) and then use it here.. worked for me!
by TheJapanChannel com rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/17 22:56
If you have a Japanese bank account, your ATM card ("cash card") works as a debit card.

No all Bank ATM cards are like that. Though many are on the "j-debit" system which is sorta good, but not as good as a full branded visa/jcb/master debit card.

Sometimes its just luck getting a Japanese card. My Chinese friend, no job or anything, 3 weeks in Japan, SMBC gave him a credit card with a good credit line.
by John rate this post as useful

Do you really need it? 2008/8/18 08:38
It's my understanding that when you use a Japanese credit card, they (the shop vendor) will ask when you will pay it off. So if you're the type of person who pays the card off every month, can you just pay in cash instead of using a card?

I got rejected for a card by my bank, but I've been fine since then. I pay for everything in cash. I don't like it, and I used to use my credit card and pay it off in the USA, but I can't say my life has suffered because I can't use a credit card. Of course, I don't have any money really, so it wouldn't matter!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread