Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much to stay anywhere in Japan? 2008/8/13 09:07
I've seen lots of questions about how much money it is to live in Japan for a certain amount of time, but I wanted to know, how much money is it to get to Japan?

To specify, starting straight out of high school, lets say, without going to college, without any type of passports or anything. How can I get a passport, fingerprint/picture thing, and ticket? and how much would that all cost?

Also, how much would it cost to be in Japan? With any type of hotel? I just want the cheapest thing, cuz im not rich and my family is poor.I have a job that I am saving all the money up for japan. I'm 16 right now, entering junior year.
by Joshu Kyu  

Where are you from? 2008/8/13 15:09
How you get a passport, and how much it costs you to get to Japan depends very much on where you are now- you didn't tell us your nationality!

And what do you want to do in Japan, travel, work? Whether you will need a visa and if so, which one, is also important.
by Sira rate this post as useful

ten grand 2008/8/14 01:08
bring ten grand. 10,000USD will get you everything you need including passport, airfare, enough money to get started in japan.

You are not going to be very employable here at such a young age (I know it sucks, when I was your age I wanted desperately to get to Japan but I had to wait another 4 years before I made it happen).

See if you can save up a bit more money, enroll into a university here and get in on the monbugakusho scholarship. If you don't do university here there are only 2 or 3 other ways that you're going to be able to stay here legally more than 3 months, and they are not very realistic for most people without serious traditional culture connections.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

American? 2008/8/14 08:21
I'm going to guess you are an American, and if so, you are not eligible for a working visa unless you have graduated from college with a bachelor's degree. By all means come for a visit when you have finished school, or come to study, but be aware that you will not be able to get a work visa without a university degree- that is an Immigration law.

My family didn't have the money to send me to Japan, so I worked all through university and then paid for myself to come here- coming from a poor family shouldn't stop you.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread