Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taisetsu ni shimasu yo? 2008/8/23 14:31
Does anybody know what "Taisetsu ni shimasu" yo? means? (a male talks to woman)

Does it mean " I will take care of you?" Any others meanings?

How strong the feelingis?
by Chan123456  

phrase 2008/8/24 12:34
It means "I will take care/ look after you/ treat you well". No, it can't really be translated any other way. Why not ask the guy himself what he meant?
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/24 18:11
The sentence does not contain any object, so it depends on the context.

If it is really "you", it must be a proposal of marriage.

Besides, the most likely scenario I can imagine is the man receives a present from the woman and says "I'll treasure it."

by meringue4 rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/24 18:38
by AK rate this post as useful

love 2008/8/24 19:08
"Take care of..." kind of sounds like a line someone says to a mistress :)

Actually, I think the best translation for "taisetsu" is "love", meaning you will treasure and pay attention and think prescously about whatever you're talking about.

Meanwhile, if the context was as the link AK posted, it is nature to assume that the speaker is saying he will treasure "deai". He is saying something along the lines of, "Meeting people is full of wonders. You treasure these encounters, don't you. May I love you?"
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/24 20:53
Oh, there's another interpretation, Uco-san :) I would assume that if that person intended to say that he "treasures those encounters," he'd have said "Taisetsu ni shite imasu." Since it was "taisetsu ni shimasu" and it came with "yo," I took it that it was said to the woman. Oh well, there isn't too much that you could read into the sentence itself, so the original poster would only find out from the man wo said it :)

Oh just a question 2008/9/5 11:26
So if I say

来週に大切な試験を受ける

Next week I have important exams. Does 大切 sounds strange in that sentence?
by Jibba rate this post as useful

Maybe... 2008/9/5 11:34
Jibba,

"taisetsu na" is more for something precious, close to your heart - it has something "emotionally involved" about it. So... for an exam, while it might mean a lot to you, and is important to you (in terms of your career, etc.), you might want to use the word "daiji na" (大事な) instead. This is more for something "important," something "that matters/means a lot to me."

AK 8/24 2008/9/5 15:46
I just noticed AK's August 24th response on my post for the first time.

AK, but did you really notice that, on the link you found, he says "Taisetu ni simas yo NE"? That would be very odd to say to a women he is confessing love to, unless he's a lazy bum. If it didn't come with the "ne" I would certainly interpret it as a poetic expression towards the lady.

To Uco-san, 2008/9/5 16:02
I thought that "... yo ne" was a strange ending for a romantic expression too lol. I wonder if it could then have been "(deai wo) taisetsuni shimasho ne," meaning "let us value this encounter" = "let's make the best of this encounter," or something like that? ...There is a limit to how much we can "read" into those short sentences taken out of the whole dialogue/background :)

AK 2008/9/5 22:38
Yes, that's sort of the thing I meant. I think it's like,

出会いって、いいよねえ。つい、大切にしたくなるよねえ。(Meeting people is nice. You often treasure that encountering, you know)

kind of thing. And that last love confession comes in a "by the way" or at least "So..." mode.

Matter of personalization 2008/9/6 16:47
taisetsu na is valuable, taisetsu ni is take care of, make much of. ni being used to when relating to a person specifically. na is more for adjectives or descriptions. from suru, shite had to do with doing, shimaru - end or close.
by Rhubarb rate this post as useful

reply to this thread