Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation job 2008/8/25 09:18
Hi. I am a Japanese married to a native English speaker and have been living in his country for nearly 15 years. I used to work 4 days a week, but now I have a small baby to take care of, so I stay home as a full-time mom. I do miss working, but now I want to stay home with my baby, so I am kind of considering to do a translation(Japanese-English) job which I can do at home through Internet. If there's someone who does the translation work professionally or as a freelance, I'd be happy to receive your advice on this. I have zero experience in this field, and have no idea if I need to go to a school(or take an online course), or need to get certified. I heard that the translation work doesn't pay much, but I am not thinking of making a lot of money, as my husband has a very good job. I just want to find something that I can do at home and use my language skill. Anyways, I thank you in advance for your help and advice! :-) :-) :-)
by CJ  

translator? difficult. 2008/8/25 14:18
I'm not a pro but studying translation.
You live in UK? If you want to get translation job from Japan, it's difficult. As you may know, there're tons of translators looking for a chance. And that job needs not only a language skill but professional knowledges, like computer, machine engineering, finances, law, or something. If you'd been in a company and gotten your major, you'll have certain opportunities to get translation job. How about that point?
And can you do the work with such a small baby?
No certification needed, because companies doesn't consider that so much. They need "skill", "experience" and "sense".
I'm sorry but I don't want you to do that only for killing-time (I mean, lots of high-educated housewives do that for such a reason). Translation is a extremely professional job.
Going to a school or studying on internet? Yes, you need to.
My opinion seems offensive, I think.
by M rate this post as useful

mistake 2008/8/25 14:20
Sorry I thought you're husband is English man. Forget about "live in UK".
by M rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/25 17:33
Being able to understand thelanguage is one thing, to be able to translate and make it a professional job is quite another.

Besides the comprehension, you need writing skill for literature, and knowledge and technical terms for specific field (medical, chemical, technical, etc.)

These threads from Japanese forum might be interesting for you.
http://komachi.yomiuri.co.jp/t/2008/0523/185059.htm
http://komachi.yomiuri.co.jp/t/2008/0201/167096.htm
by . rate this post as useful

How about working as a volunteer? 2008/8/25 23:17
CJ, finding a kind of job you're seeking is not really that difficult. Schooling is not necessary. Most top notch professionals have never done any special schooling just for their translation skills. You don't need a thorough knowledge of everything, either. It would help if you have a thorough knowledge of "one" thing, but if you don't understand what is written, all you have to do is do research.

But it seems that the majority of translator wannabes don't have the guts or probably the time to do enough research to make a readable and understandable translation. And in fact, 90 percent of the job is research. You have to keep in mind that although it is easy to find people looking for translators, there are very few translators-to-be who can offer "usable" translations.

Long story short, if your child is still young I would recommend you to use this time to do non-profit voluntary work or for studying. Because with volunteers, people don't expect much and will tolerate mistakes. It will be a great opportunity to test your skills and practice. If you were in Japan, you can ask for details at your local ward office or city hall. I'm not sure how it works in your area.

Schooling is not a bad idea either if you have the time and money. Since your child is young, it would be best if you can do a correspondence course. It would be ideal if you could utilise this time to study or do small voluntary work. Then by the time your child starts preschool, your skills would be ready for professional work.

On the other hand, professional work will require you to have high skills and tight deadlines, where in one way or another will be a burden for your little one(s).

If you wish to seek professional work now, try to do it through friends. It would be best if you can find someone who can understand your situation and employ you as a little helper rather than to expect you to do bulk work in a short period of time.

Here is a link with more information on Getting Started as a Translator.
http://www.gally.net/translation/gettingstarted.htm

Actually, if you "just want to find something that you can do at home and use your language skill" though, just tell that to your local authority and I'm sure they'll find some kind of non-profit job for you. It doesn't have to be translation, right?
by Uco, being there doing that rate this post as useful

reply to this thread