Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

please translate 2008/9/12 05:53
Hi all,

I have to translate these rather factual phrase into Japanese for a friend,but I'm not quite sure how to translate some of the phrases. If someone could give me a complete translation,I'd be very greatful!

"(place name)is one of the few places in the world that penguins naturally migrate to. For this reason it's(i.e.the place) a really unique and popular attraction."

I have translated most of it,but for context etc I've included the full text. Any constructive help is most appreciated!
by ichigokuma  

Interpretation 2008/9/13 11:02
Sekai - is the world.
sukoshi - is few
pengingu or similar - for the katakana
ryoku - travel
migrate - not in my dictionary, so try migaita na
unique - dokutoku no (Japanese) or the English-similar version (katakana) - yuniku na

A partial sentence for conversation might go -

itchi (single) no basho (place) pengingu wa toii (far) ni ryoku (travel) itte (at) kimasu (go). Takusan (alot) dokutoku no (unique) jiken (event) desu (is).

yoko (this angle) moko (vague-answer) deshita - was okay?
by rhubarb rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/13 11:18
"(place name)is one of the few places in the world that penguins naturally migrate to. For this reason it's(i.e.the place) a really unique
and popular attraction."

- (Place name) wa, sekai demo mezurashii, pengin ga yattekuru tokoro desu. [(Place) is a rare location in the world that penguins come to.]

- Sono tame, (place name) wa hijou ni yuniiku na basho to shite ninki wo atsumete imasu. [Because of this, (place) is popular/commands good
popularity as a very unique place.]
by AK rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/9/13 16:12
thank you for your help!It was definitely the "unique and popular" part that i was struggling with!thank you!:)

AK,
could you please check this for me?My friend translated this themselves but I'm not entirely sure it's correct.

"これはさすが(country)のお土産です.手作りで、信号で売られてる土産です."

Thank you!
by ichigokuma rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/13 22:47
"これはさすが(country)のお土産です.手作りで、信号で売られてる土産です."

This is souvenir amazingly from (country). It is hand-made, and sold at signals.

....is what it says. I don't know how "sasuga" (the part I back-transtlated as "amazingly"), and I guess when you say "at signals," you mean at traffic intersections?

I can't quite imagine anything that is hand-made and sold at intersections - what might it be, if I may ask? :)

oh! 2008/9/14 00:13
the souvenirs she is referring to are handmade by the sellers.these are things (animals,flowers,etc)made from wire and beads.it's a local craft that is very much unique to her area.
i thought that by "sasuga" she was trying to say "typical" or something?
what would you recommend she say instead?
by ichigokuma rate this post as useful

Maybe something like this... 2008/9/14 10:44
I might put it this way:

これは、(country/region)特有の工芸品です。This is craft particular to the (country/region).

手作りで、作った人がよく街角で売っています。(It is hand-made, and the one who made it often sells them at street corners.)

When I say "street corners," I'm using a word that suggests that it is not sold at SHOPS, but just plainly on the streets. "Sold at intersections" does not really convey that sense, I feel.

reply to this thread