Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Couch too big for Japan? 2008/9/13 08:32
For some reason, our new purchase didn't seem as big in the showroom here in the states. Do you think that its too big to take or will be ok if we find the right place?
Here are the measurements in inches.

104L x 45W x 39H
by Laura  

... 2008/9/13 09:01
That fully depends on your apartment/house in Japan. Also, I imagine it to me much more expensive to ship a couch from the US to Japan than to buy a new one in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

O.P. reply 2008/9/13 09:14
Someone else is paying for the move so that's not a problem. Thanks for the answer though. I was concerned about it fitting through a doorway.
by Laura rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/13 09:14
I agree, unless you have free shipping somehow from the US to Japan, I can only imagine that sending a couch would cost a whole wad of money.

Second would be its hard to tell if its big or not big not knowing the size of your place in Japan.

So I would also tend to say its better to just buy one here in Japan.
by John rate this post as useful

OP again 2008/9/13 09:23
Our whole household is being moved. We are downsizing some things and trying to decided whether to purchase somethings there. Is delivery usually included in furniture purchases?

couch 2008/9/13 09:49
I have found that good western style furniture is quite expensive here so I would ship as much as possible if the company is paying but that's a very big couch and could be a problem. I would assume if they are paying for the shipping they are also providing you with western style housing and may be ok. don't think that couch would fit in a Japanese size place.
by wds rate this post as useful

decide where you live 2008/9/13 11:35
Laura, you should ask the moving company. But you do need to decide where to live and be able to describe the interior and exterior of it first.

Usually, moving companies in Japan are capable of taking off doors or hanging furniture from the balcony. But still they need to know what lies underneath the balcony or what kind of narrow corners the apartment may have.

A furniture shop here in Japan went through the trouble of hanging a huge Japanese brand bed mattress in the rain for me, while I know some people who had to exchange a mattress they bought in Japan so that it can fit in their already large house, but these don't really answer your question.

I am assuming however, that if you are in a type of position to be able to let someone else pay for the moving, you probably have the freedom to choose a home where your couch would fit.
by Uco rate this post as useful

moving 2008/9/13 14:13
Is it too late to exchange your couch for one that comes in sections, like a love seat with 1 arm and a 1 arm lounge chair? They can be moved more easily and you can put them together as a L shape couch or as separate seating. In the same way twin beds are much easier to move than a queen or king size bed.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

OP reply 2008/9/13 14:55
Thank you everyone! We also got a chair and a half so that is what we might bring with us (its also got a pull out mattress in it). We could just purchase another chair or a small couch there. My employer will store what we don't want to take for the 2-3 years that we are there. And yes we have the luxury of househunting ourselves. I will actually look first and then tell my husband what things to buy based on what size and storage the available apartments/houses have for us.

Thanks 2008/9/14 06:24
Thank you for replying and giving us a follow up. Looks like everything will work just fine. Have a great time in Japan!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread