Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese intensive language schools? 2008/9/15 14:31
Hi,

I'm planning on studying abroad in Japan in a couple of years, but some new information from a friend has been brought to my attention.

I'm taking Japanese 101 right now at my university, and I hope to become fluent in the language someday. However, a friend told me instead of studying abroad, I should go to a Japanese intensive language school where I would speak little to no English and by the time I left I would be fluent. He mentioned that there are summer courses with 12 straight 8 hour a day (one day off) weeks where I learn Japanese. Does anyone have suggestions to what schools I should look into? I realize that it takes time to learn a new language, but if this is true then I really want to consider it. Money is not an issue, so I'm interested in any school.

I plan on teaching Englishin Japan once I get my Bachelor's degree.

Any info would be a huge help, thanks!

T
by T  

Not Sure What You Are Looking For 2008/9/16 09:02
So what you are looking for is a program in your own country? What country do you live in? Do you mean something like the following?

http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls

by Uma rate this post as useful

Study in Japan 2008/9/16 09:15
No, what I mean is that when I go to Japan I want to take a Japanese language course there!

I live in the U.S. right now. Learning here isn't the same as learning there. I'm surrounded by native English speakers all of the time, if I was there I would be able to practice my Japanese more often.

I'm looking for intensive Japanese language courses IN Japan.
by T rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/16 09:20
From your post, I thought (just like Uma) that you were looking for a school in your own country too :)

If you are looking for Japanese language schools in Japan, yes, there are many that offer one year or two year full-time course, and some do offer maybe 4-week summer intensive courses. But they don't go that many hours I believe - you would need some time after classes to digest and absorb what you have heard.

ENter "intensive course" into the little blank above this thread and run a search... other threads on the topic/similar topics will come up.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/9/16 09:29
Sorry if I confused you all, I guess I wasn't direct in my second paragraph.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep searching for schools. I'm hoping to find something that's around 12 weeks or so. I'm going to move to Japan after I graduate, but I was hoping I could find a semester long language course so thatI could return to the U.S. and complete my studies faster.

Yamasa 2008/10/8 12:32
What you're looking for is the Yamasa Language Institute. It offers intense Japanese language classes taught only in Japanese for nearly all levels. It's located in Okazaki which is in Aichi prefecture. It's a very good school and by and large the students there are very serious about learning Japanese. The web site is:

http://www.yamasa.org

Have fun!
by Brian rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/10/8 12:49
Thanks, Brian! That information is very helpful, it's basically what I was looking for!

I'll keep looking at various schools, but I'll keep an eye out on Yamasa!

. 2008/10/9 05:13
I recommend you Yamasa as well. I was there this year in summer.

I selected Yamasa among more schools and now I know how good it is. Maybe I'll be able to go there again.

If you are interested in more information, just ask.
by zennie rate this post as useful

Labo! 2008/10/9 13:35
Hey, I personally spent 2 months in the Labo Language School:

http://www.gakkoguide.co.uk/labo.html

This is a fantastic school and program. It is located in the heart of Tokyo as well. Word of warning though it is mostly geared towards Koreans. I was the only white person in my class, the advantage of this is you are surrounded by people that can't speak english. Great school!
by Simon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread