Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What if I don't drink alcohol or tea? 2008/9/16 23:35
I have a great deal of respect for Japanese culture, but part of the dictates of my religion are that I do not drink (non-herbal) tea or alcohol. I am committed to my religion, so what do I do when someone offers me a cup of sake or even green tea...is it possible not to offend in a situation like that? I want to go to Japan, so please help!
by Deborah  

Allergy 2008/9/17 07:40
My mother in law faced this problem and she told them that she was allergic. A white lie yes but it saved face all around.
by Peter rate this post as useful

no problem 2008/9/17 07:43
If you are just coming here as a tourist, it is unlikely you will be in a situation where you are offered alcohol. You would be served tea at some restaurants as part of the service, but there is no obligation to drink it.

If you visit someone's home, you could explain to them when you arrive that you don't drink non-herbal tea. They would be a bit surprised, but not offended.

Many Japanese people don't drink alcohol due to intolerance or personal reasons, so this isn't a big issue. No one will force you to drink either.

On restaurant menus there is almost always juice, mineral water, ginger ale and possibly other sodas, or you can just ask for tap water and it will be brought.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Don't lie. 2008/9/17 07:54
If you're offered tea or booze, you can politely decline due to your religious beliefs. You shouldn't be made to feel bad about it, or feel like you have to lie about it. You could also politely decline simply because you don't want it. Green tea tastes like soap to me, so I don't drink it. I say, 'No, thank you.'

Obviously, it's nice to try to respect another culture when you're living in such country, I do as much as I can, many of my Japanese colleagues are pleased when I ask questions and show interest, but regardless, you shouldn't feel pressured to do something you don't want to do.

by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

Tea and alcohol 2008/9/17 08:09
Deborah,

I would agree with what other posters have already written, in that there is no need to make a big thing of it, and no need to lie. Saying that your religion prohibits the consumption of tea might prompt some curious questions, but that is all part of the cultural learning experience, isn't it?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Some experience 2008/9/17 19:19
I drink tea, but I don't drink alcohol. I don't have a religious reason (or any other reason, really, I just don't want to drink alcohol), but I'm rather strict about it.

I've been to restaurants with Japanese hosts, and most of the time they would automatically order alcohol (usually beer) for everyone. Luckily they didn't seem to mind, if I wanted to have something else instead. I've never had a problem in restaurants, there have always been non-alcoholic beverages available.

I did have a small problem with one of my homestay families though. They always had alcohol with dinner (beer, wine, sake), and sometimes they "forgot" to get me anything else (water would have been fine). I had told them that I don't drink alcohol, and always tried to decline when they offered. Eventually I had to drink some alcohol because I need something to drink when I'm eating, and I didn't want to offend them, but I felt somewhat offended myself.
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/17 22:25
This might sound coward and dishonest to some, but I agree with Peter. I do not see any point of bring such a personal issue like religion, unless yoou are comfortable sharing it with people whom you don't know that well. I would simply say I don't drink beforehand. If someone insists you, then I would say I am intolerant or allergic. Yes, it is a lie, but saves everyone's face.
by a japanese who do not drink rate this post as useful

Be simple, and be honest if necessary 2008/9/17 22:46
If it's during the day, just say you don't drink tea.

If it's in the evening, just say you don't drink tea nor alcohol.

It's common for people to not drink coffee. Why not tea? That's not too surprizing.

You don't have to say anything about herbs. It just makes the whole conversation complicated.

And if they ask you why, I would say you can tell them it's your religion. It's common for people to not eat pork or beef depending on their religion. Why not tea?

Sure enough, religion is considered a personal thing in Japan than it is in many other countries, but if the conversation gets deep enough to the point where you need to tell the reason, I see why not. I mean, if the conversation gets deep enough to the point where you need to tell the reason and you tell them it's allergy, they're going to ask you questions about it.

Actually there are quite a few people in Japan who seemed to have encountered those in your situation. The population of followers is huge, so why not be open?
by Uco rate this post as useful

So.... 2008/9/18 04:43
The bottom lines, I guess, is that you do what you feel comfortable depending on the situation and the people you are with. There is no right or wrong answer to this. You should not feel pressed to do something you don't feel like.
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread