Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

freeze salmon 1 month be eaten raw? 2008/9/22 12:28
I buy chilled or fresh salmon , cleaned it , sliced it & packed into small packet, freeze it for up to a month to be eaten raw. Is it safe? Pls advise. Will it lead to stomach cancer?
by Chong Mee Ying  

??? 2008/9/22 13:59
yeah, it's fine to eat and won't give you stomach cancer
by Been in Japan too Long rate this post as useful

Frozen 2008/9/22 16:19
It is my understanding that it is recommended to freeze fresh salmon to kill possible parasites that can be in the fish. I don't think that the parasites give you stomach cancer, but you'll need to see a doctor to get some medicine to get rid of them.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/22 19:07
Depends on the temperature of your freezer.
It might be OK as far as (possible) parasites are concerned but if the temperature is not so low, the taste/texture of the salmon not really nice as the water within the cell grows too big and damage the cell, so the fish meat will get watery and when you defroze it, water will oozing out with the best part of the taste within the fish.
Better cook it in that case.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/22 22:33
It won't cause a stomach cancer, but there is a possibility it can lead to a food poisoning. It depends on how fresh the fish is before it was displayed on a shelf. I presonally buy sashimi grade fish in a small portion and eat it on the same day.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/23 03:27
I notice he is from inside Japan. May be that makes a difference?

It seems like raw salmon isn't so popular in Japan contrary to popular belief.

Elsewhere in loads of other countries like Australia for example, Salmon is often eaten raw.

I'm aware of the parasites risk but if that's the case why do so many restaurants serve it here? However in Japan raw salmon is not as commonly eaten and if it is, its not fatty plus its served with onions and sauce. Hokkaido seems to be an exception though?

by Blanc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread