Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Breastfeeding in Public Ilegal in Japan? 2008/9/27 15:00
I've lived in Japan my whole life, and have been nursing in public (discreetly of course) ever since I've had children.
My friend recently told me that someone ''informed'' her that breast-feeding in public is illegal in Japan.
I've never heard this even suggested before.
I've always assumed that of course it was legal, since Japanese mothers are sometimes seen doing it.
I've searched the internet, but all I turned up was info on western countries laws.
If anyone has any facts on this, I'd be very grateful. If the facts can be backed-up with citations of some kind, I'd be overjoyed.
Thanks in advance.
by Elaina  

... 2008/9/27 18:52
I am pretty sure that it is not illegal. However, it is uncommon, as discussed in detail in the following thread:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+34210
by Uji rate this post as useful

different from streaking 2008/9/27 19:22
"If the facts can be backed-up with citations of some kind, I'd be overjoyed."

Elaina, all you have to do is to drop by at your local koban and ask. My guess is that deliberately showing nipples in public is against the law, but when breast-feeding, your nipples hardly show if not never, and things like that and public outdoor onsen are tolerated.
by Uco rate this post as useful

not uncommon 2008/9/28 00:57
It is not uncommon, just discreet, as in most countries. However, Japan is a very breastfeeding-friendly country.
by Tilt rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/28 01:15
I know that it isn't uncommon, but I'd like to know for certain whether nursing in public is specifically illegal in Japan, as I've heard rumor that it is.
I'm pretty darn sure myself that it is legal, but I really wish I had some kind of definitive proof one way or the other to show my friend.
Although I guess I could stand in front of a koban with my baby and find out firsthand! Heheh.
by Elaina rate this post as useful

not too hard 2008/9/28 17:45
I think it shouldn't be too difficult to find out. Try these sites:

http://www.jalc-net.jp/

http://www.llli.org/Japan.html

For the La Leche site, I would contact one of the Japan groups directly and ask them. Good luck!
by Tilt rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/28 18:31
From my view I don't think it is illegal, but as mentioned here and there and other places, its not uncommon, I mean I'm from the US, and where in the US I am from (and I cannot comment on anywhere else), It was rare to see someone breast feeding in public as well. Same for Japan, just rare. I think people would do it in private or closed place, or bottle feed milk.

If you really think about it,
I HIGHLY DOUBT that there is any prosecutor out there (even in Japan) that would prosecute a mother if she did indeed feed in public. Just the backlash from the Media alone.
Something I wouldn't worry about, but again uncommon to seen it done.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread