Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of Rental Insurance? 2008/10/17 01:54
I'm contemplating a move to Japan, and most of the apartments I've looked at require renter's insurance. What is the typical cost of such insurance? I am looking at apartments sized 3LDK around 75 - 80 sq meters in the area west of Tokyo along the Chuo line. Also is this a monthly payment or once-a-year deal. (I remember paying for auto insurance as military member in Japan years ago on a 6 month basis, but never bothered with renter's insurance. Thanks.
by azvlr  

... 2008/10/17 10:34
azvlr,
I guess what you mean is renters' "fire" insurance or "Kasai Hoken(火災保険)" in Japanese. Usually, renters are required to pay the premium once every 2 years (equal to the length of rental contract). Cost varies depending on the insurance coverage (for example, whether it covers your belongings or not)and property value (size, location and so on). I think it is about 15000-30000 yen for a 2 year-contract.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Re: Insurance Cost? 2008/10/17 12:55
JLady,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I sounds pretty reasonable. I keep thinking of new costs to consider, which is eating away at my budget. Still, counting the fact that houses are smaller, which I don't care about, I'd actually be living more comfortably. I won't have to worry about a car - gas, insurance and omnipresent maintenance. Thanks to all the great replies on Japan Guide, I feel more and more encouraged!
by azvlr rate this post as useful

I pay 2008/10/17 13:07
20 000 yen every two years. Honestly I don't really know how much I am covered, but I did get broken into once and I got the monetary value back of what was stolen. Whether that is covered under this insurance I am not sure, but I think it is quite cheap.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

reply to this thread