Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to live in Tokyo ? 2008/10/19 20:06
I'm moving to Tokyo soon for 2 years. I don't know which area of Tokyo would be good for me to live in...

I would like to find an area not too expensive, where i can live in a real home (not a tiny bedroom), but not too far from center (i'll work in roppongi) and still nice... My budget is about 130 000yen since i'd like to save up for travelling in japan and asia.

I know it won't be easy to find but what area of tokyo do you think i should look for into? Preferably no more than 30mins communiting time to roppongi.

Thank you.
by eric  

where to live? 2008/10/20 15:53
130 000 yen per month for rental only or for everything? an empty place or a furnished one? are you aware that you may have to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance? In Tokyo as in London, Paris etc. living in the downtown area is very expensive so you likely could only get a small one room place for that amount. I live in Canada and a small 1 bedroom place downtown easily cost $ 1000 to 1500 per month. This is why I live 45 minutes from downtown by rapid transit and pay only $ 650 per month. 45 minutes give me time to read the newspaper or doze off for a while..
by Red frog rate this post as useful

areas 2008/10/20 16:27
I think Tamachi might be a good option for you- it is still in Minato ku, which is the same ward as Roppongi, but it is a much more affordable area. That said, it isn't going to be a large apartment. Perhaps if you go down into Ota ward you might find something larger, but 130,000 isn't going to get you a big place unless it's a long way from the station or quite old.

There are also the factors Red Frog mentioned to take into account- do you need a furnished place? They are usually more expensive. And paying key money and deposit, plus agency free means an initial layout of 3-5 months rent, most of which you won't see again.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread