Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a drivers licence on weekend? 2008/10/21 22:16
Hi. I got a UK licence and want to get a Japanese one. I've read about the procedure, but I've not seen any places that can do it on a weekend.

I've not got much annual leave left and I don't want to waste 1 of my precious days waiting at one of these places, so does anyone know of any places that process driving licences on a weekend in Tokyo?
by Rob  

Unfortunately No 2008/10/22 09:57
There are 3 driver's license centers in Tokyo where you can transfer your UK license to a Japanese one. Unfortunately, they all only do the transfers on weekdays 8:30-11 and 1-3, and you will have to go in person to take the physical exams and pictures.

Here's the information for the license centers:

Fuchu Drivers's License Office (Fuchu Shikenjo)
Tel. 0423-62-3591 (Japanese Only)
3-1-1, Tama-cho, Choufu-shi, Tokyo
Open: 8:30-11:30, 13:00-15:00 (Mon-Fri)
Closed: Sat, Sun and Holidays
Nearest Station: JR Chuo Line Musashi-Kogane Station

Samezu Driver's License Office (Samezu Shikenjo)
Tel. 03-3474-1374 (Japanese Only)
1-12-5, Higashi-Ohi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo
Closed: Sat, Sun and Holidays
Nearest Station: Keihin Kyuko Line Samezu Station

Koto Driver's License Office (Koto Shikenjo)
Tel. 03-3699-1151 (Japanese Only)
1-7-24, Shinsuna,Koto-ku,Tokyo
Closed: Sat, Sun, and Holidays
Nearest Station: Tozai Line Toyocho Station
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Transferring driving licence 2008/10/22 10:12
And unless they have radically streamlined the system (highly unlikely), it takes a whole day to complete the process.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

more 2008/10/22 18:40
In Yokohama, you can do it in half a day, IF you have everything right, but the guy there is a bureaucratic nightmare... and he always seems to find an excuse to make you come back again....
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Koto Driver's License Center 2008/11/30 17:45
Anybody had experience of changing a foreign (UK) driver's licence to a Japanese one at this center in Tokyo?

----
Koto Driver License Testing and Issuing Center
(The Koto Driver License Testing and Issuing Center changes licenses of only certain designated countries)
1-7-24 Shinsuna Koto-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 03-3699-1151
Access: A five-minute walk from Toyocho Station on the Tozai Subway Line.
----

I'm particularly keen to know what "designated countries" are.

Is it possible to get it all done in one afternoon?
by R rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/1 09:35
I'm not positive but they probably refer to the countries that can directly transfer their license without having to take a driving test. Those countries are: France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, The UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and South Korea.

If you hold a drivers license from any of them (regardless of your nationality) then you can transfer your license in one day assuming you have all your paperwork in order.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Paperwork in order 2009/2/6 09:45
If you have had a new passport issued since you arrived in Japan, take your OLD one, as they want to see the stamp of your first entry. Luckily, I carry the old one together with the new passport "just in case". Saved me another trip back.

Also make sure your UK licence shows the "Issued date". If it doesn't you will need to get a certificate from home stating the date you were first issued with a licence. This is to prove you have been licenced more than 6 months, I think. (so a 10 year licence with one year left until expiry doesn't prove that somehow...)

Hmm, now what do I need to get my lost licence replaced...? As in, lost my wallet over a year ago. I don't drive much (actually, never). Some say a police report is necessary.....
by Scott (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread