Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

What US candies do they have in Japan? 2008/10/23 07:59
Im wondering because because in the future,I plan to move there and want to know what American candies that are available in stores.I hope I don't have to sacrafice my beloved doughnuts,Jelly Beans,Twinkies,Trix cereal,or Twizlers!
by Herr Hauptmann  

Sweets 2008/10/23 12:30
Doughnuts - Yes of course.
Jelly Beans - At some specialty stores but not that common.
Your other items - No, those aren't in Japan. The day I see Japanese people eating Twinkies, unnecessarily sweetened cereal, and Twizzlers will be a sadddd day. haha.
by Trenton rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/23 13:57
...And people wonder why America has an obesity problem.
by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

junk food 2008/10/23 14:12
Hey, I'm an American and I resemble that remark!
lol
by Smilin' Bob rate this post as useful

American Obesity 2008/10/23 14:20
Haha, good one!

But seriously, we Americans shove too much garbage down our throats and the day I see Twinkies being sold regularly in Japan will be a sad day indeed.

by Haha rate this post as useful

mc'd 2008/10/23 16:08
They already made a mistake with Mcdonalds (although japanese people love it), which in my opinion is a step in the wrong direction.
by ... rate this post as useful

doughnuts 2008/10/23 16:08
Japanese love doughnuts and line up for miles (literally) at the Krispie Creme shops in Tokyo. There's also Mister Donut brand as well.

Everyone has to turn some thread antiamerican, who cares what other people eat, how does it effect you personally? I couldn't care jack if my neighbor ate dirt everyday.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/23 20:29
Isn't part of going to another country experiencing their foods, why not try some Japanese Sweets instead and save your American candies for when you're in America
by ... rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/23 20:38
If you absolutly cannot live without your sweets why not just get friends or family to send you a care package with them.
by Liz rate this post as useful

sweets 2008/10/23 21:13
Donuts are abundant, but the other items thankfully not.

There is no shortage of sweets in Japan- why not learn to appreciate Pocky, Crunky, anpan and daifuku?

by Sira rate this post as useful

candies galore 2008/10/23 22:04
In Tokyo, you can find snickers and kit kat almost anywhere. Jelly Bellys are popular too but you need to hunt for them. Meiji and Lotte chocolates are just as good as N. American and can be found at most convenience stores. In addition, there are at least 2 Mrs. See outlets in Tokyo and you can find Godiva chocolates at many places. So don't worry.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

Japanese chocolate 2008/10/23 22:47
Definatly try some Japanese Chocolate like Meiji, it's so good.
Everytime I go to Japan I always buy alot in the airport before leaving, just melts in your mouth.
Pocky is great too, and lotte and everything really.

I did see a shop in Harajuku a couple years back that seemed to have a large American sweet collection, and I think Plaza stores stock some as well.

Enjoy what Japan has to offer while you are there, but if you feel you want some of the American sweets do like someone suggested and ask some family or friends to send you some, then you have a nice treat from home, but not everyday
by Kittywheaty rate this post as useful

Oh please .. 2008/10/25 14:55
Did you stop to think that people who are from different countries and different cultures might like to have some things in terms of food that remind them of home? Its like going to a japanese person and saying you can't have ramon noodles while you're in the USA. Its not like this person is only going to have USA food and never eat japanese food.
by Noliving rate this post as useful

Re; US candies 2008/10/25 17:43
I remember that someone mentioned about Snickers being sold in here. I haven't seen it myself though. try some japanese sweets instead, they are more subtle. I find Mars and Snickers are loaded with sugar way too much. No offence to Americans though, I miss that chuncky snacks.
BTV
by BTV rate this post as useful

Liquorice 2008/10/25 22:30
I know that fellow Dutch expatriates will go a long way to obtain some proper salty liquorice (zoute drop) that can only be bought in Holland and seems to be make people from any other country want to puke. Usually family sends it to them via the mail. Those cravings go away by the time you have successfully conquered culture shock to which, I strongly believe, these cravings are akin.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Snickers 2008/10/26 18:39
BTV, you haven't seen Snickers being sold? I'm surprised, they sell them everywhere here.

But yeah, the best thing to do is to try the local sweets and have friends and family occasionally mail what you can't get here.
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

Re: 2008/10/26 23:35
"PLAZA" in Harajuku sells Snickers, Hershey's, Toblerone, jelly beans...
by xexstyle rate this post as useful

cravings for Vegemite 2008/10/27 07:15
I've been in Japan for 10 years so I'm well over culture shock, but I still get cravings for Vegemite/Marmite and sometimes buy New Zealand chocolate if I see it. There's no substitute for Vegemite, and I genuinely like the taste of New Zealand chocolate best, most likely because it brings back memories of my childhood. No relation to culture shock there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Kitkats 2008/10/27 22:13
If you like Kitkats Japan has the most amazing kitkat flavours that I haven't seen in anyother countries :-)
Sakura Kitkat was incredible but I think that was only seasonal during Cherry Blossom time.

I live in a different country then the one I grew up in so I know what it's like to miss some things you are used to, I always load up on a few things everytime I visit my family and then have those when I feel I really miss home, then it's a special treat. :-)
I also love to bring my family the sweets of my new country to try when I visit them.
by Kittywheaty rate this post as useful

Snickerrrs!...oh I found TimTam 2008/10/27 23:58
since TheRage800 implied ubiquity of Snickers, I will go hunt for those chunky snacks soon. I hope I can find it. and I am going to bite it like I mean it. then I will say to folks around me, man its chunky!
vegemate? that yicky stuff? BTW I found TimTams other day. that's for homesick Aussies out there.
BTV
by Bon tre vicci rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

reply to this thread