Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yen dropping, what would be wise? 2008/10/25 16:19
Currently, I am a student at a Japanese language school. My course ends in december, and I was planning on extending it for another three months after that.

However..

With the yen dropping as crazy as it is now, it is becoming increasingly hard for me to live here. I am European, and the last three weeks my stay here has become atleast 1/5 more expensive, which is a lot considering I had 8000 euros for the 6 months that I would stay here.

I am now thinking of what would be wise, since I definitely don't want to leave Japan after december already but I am worried that I will get into serious financial trouble if the Yen continues to go this way.

One thing I have been thinking of is trying to get a job these next two months, so that after my course ends in december I could perhaps stay in Japan for 6 months or more. However, I don't have a student visum (I was supposed to study for 6 months, so the school advised me to leave and re-enter) and since I have only graduated my high school last year, I don't hold any bachelor degree either. My English is fluently although I am not native, and I also speak French and German and Dutch. Is it possible for me to find a job, and preferably one where the company would get me a green card/working permit? And what would be sectors for me to look into? Any advise would be highly appreciated!
by Giel  

working holiday? 2008/10/25 17:47
Without a degree (or a number of years relevant work experience) you aren't eligible for any kind of working visa, I'm afraid, it is a requirement of Immigration. No company can sponsor you for a visa if you don't meet that requirement.

Have you checked whether there is a working holiday visa for people of your nationality?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/25 23:49
Actually, it's the other way around. The yen is doing quite well against the euro and the dollar. It's the euro that's dropping like a rock. Check out this website: http://www.x-rates.com/d/JPY/EUR/graph120.html
by Paul rate this post as useful

One more thing, 2008/10/25 23:53
If you can get a job in Japan for the remainder of your tour, you might be wise to make sure you get paid in yen. I don't know if you can convert your euros to yen now or not, but it might be wise before the euro drops any further.
by Paul rate this post as useful

dropping/rising 2008/10/26 08:15
Paul is right, the yen is very strong right now, it is the other countries' currencies that are dropping. You will definitely be getting fewer yen for your euros now than you would have a few months ago, so it may feel to you like the yen is dropping! It's hard to say which way it will go from now unfortunately.
by Sira rate this post as useful

confusion 2008/10/26 10:01
I guess Giel is confusing the effect.
When he/she has 100 Euro and exchanges it for Yen, he/she will get less Yen, so it could SEEM that the Yen is dropping.

However, as pointed out by others, the NUMBER of Yen is dropping for every Euro exchanged, meaning that the Yen is strengthening.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

actually 2008/10/26 23:40
According to an AOL article, the Yen is actually the strongest currency in the world right now.

Besides that source, I would truly have no idea lol.
by Kira rate this post as useful

i feel your pain 2008/10/26 23:52
i feel your pain, it's frustrating right now. i just won a lawsuit back in canada and the winnings are almost worthless because of the current world financial situation. annoying. hopefully world markets will pick up shortly from the initial speculatory crash. watch the forex tickers / advisors and see how they are reacting to this.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread