Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any good Yatai in Tokyo 2008/11/13 00:02
Hi,

Will be leaving to Japan soon and would like to try out eating at Yatai although I understand it may be more expensive.

May I know where to find Yatai in Tokyo or Shibuya?

Any recommendation?

Thanks
by setheo  

yatai 2008/11/13 13:42
Yatai are not expensive! They are small food stalls with a limited menu that are found in the streets during a festival. customer often seat on a nearby bench. Fukuoka has lots of them. Theirs are more permanent(but still very small things)by the river.I ate at one in Asakusa but only because I was with a Japanese friend as the cook didn't speak English. I doubt that you can find them in Shibuya or near Tokyo station but I could be wrong.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Yatai= cheap food... 2008/11/13 15:07
Why would yatai be expensive? I agree you won't find them near very busy or upmarket places like Tokyo or Shibuya station. They are often found near suburban stations but are not always in the same place every day.

You might want to check the tiny bars and yakitori places under the tracks near Yurakucho station as they might have the atmosphere you are looking for.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Shibuya 2008/11/13 17:18
There used to be a stall in Shibuya that serves Chinese and Thai noodles. He would usually be at the entrance of the narrow street between the Inokashira Line and MUFG (UFJ bank) on saturday nights starting at about 10:00pm, but I haven't been there for a few years.

At Shibuya, the "Kita-guchi Guard(rail)" area can be fun, too. No yatai, but there are several yatai-ish bars.

By the way, yatai is not really "expensive" but they usually charge you more than what the food deserves. For example, a tiny plate of snacks can cost about 300 yen. If you go to a restaurant, a filling lunch will cost you 900 yen.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/13 21:39
Thanks for your input, guys. Good to know it's cheap to eat at Yatai.

Just love to try it out... hope can find the one selling oden! Read in other forum saying there is one just outside Shinjuku. :)

Do they open till late night?
by setheo rate this post as useful

Food 2008/11/15 05:57
What do you mean by "one outside Shinjuku" ? SHINJUKU is a big BIG area and the exits of JR Shinjuku are extremely crowded. perhaps you mean the Kabuki-cho area (also very very crowded in the evening). If you find a yatai great but don't waste time looking for one as there is nothing special about their food.There are thousands of cheap and moderate priced restaurants in Shinjuku alone. Ueno is also a good place to look for cheap restaurants, especially by the Ameyokocho area.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/15 23:21
Sorry didn't clear things up. Someone told me there is Yatai on the west entrance of Shinjuku station.
by setheo rate this post as useful

yatai 2008/11/16 04:09
There is a photo of the yatai you are talking about in a thread you answered on Japan forum at http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?p=604414
there isn't any more that we can tell you. You are kidding yourself if you think that the food in many yatai is great. Also in the evening it will be dark, cold, perhaps wet, and I had rather eat the same food in one of the many inexpensive restaurants in the area (there is a big pedestrian underground area in the area)
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread