Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

studying abroad soon- any tips? 2008/11/17 09:54
Hi,
I'm an American going to study abroad in Hirakata, and was just wondering if I could get some tips to make life easier for me there. I have don't have any experience speaking japanese either. I just don't want to go over there and be considered rude or inappropriate. Also if anyone has some great places to go in Hirakate, please tell me! And here's my last question. I'm wanting to live with a host family, but I do have a tattoo on my shoulder blade that's aboutfour inches wide. Is this going to be a big problem? I've received some confusing answers about tattoos in japan. I'm sorry this is so long!
by judith  

enjoy yourself 2008/11/19 12:29
The most thing that would be helpful to you would be to learn has much Japanese as you can. Even if you only learn "words" And look through this website a lot. The is so much useful information on this website. (more info than travel books) Don't let the tattoo bother you. It's not important to most people. Many Japanese are curious about tattoos. Japanese mostly very friendly and helpful people, and very polite. Just treat people the same way. make yourself a small "cheat sheet" book with Japanese words you might use (where is this? how much this this?...etc. etc..) and keep this book with you. And bring some small gifts from the US for your host family.
by daz88 rate this post as useful

Kansai Gaidai? 2008/11/19 18:09
Hi Judith, are you going to Kansai Gaidai for their Asian Studies program?

I have applied and I am waiting to find out if I got in (hopefully within the next few weeks). When did you get your acceptance?

Tell me a bit about yourself if you feel inclined, we may be able to meet up!
by R. rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/20 01:57
yeah, I'm going there! I'm actually still waiting to get hear back from them, but my advisor said he'd be really surprised if i didn't get in. i'm just 21, and a junior in college. i really like east asian history and wanted to go to some place that was completely different than from what i'm used to being around.
by judith rate this post as useful

Cool stuff. 2008/11/20 13:29
Yeah I'm waiting to hear back too, my exchange office at uni said it's pretty much definate that I'm in. I'll be so shattered if I don't get in!

Have you (or anyone) got any packing tips? I know the usual underwear socks etc. But the time I will be there is from end of January to end of June... Should I plan on sending stuff home? I was over last June and it was hot hot hot and humid, but I've seen blogs saying it'll be freezing when I arrive.... tips, anyone? I live in Australia so our winters aren't really as cold.

.... 2008/11/20 23:26
There is an amusement park there. But being in between Osaka and Kyoto is very nice for sightseeing. Good luck.
by Beto rate this post as useful

Let me know.. 2008/11/25 06:54
... when you're told if you're in, Judith. The wait is killing me!!!

Me too! 2008/11/25 08:04
I'm from Virginia and I'll be studying at Kansai Gaidai in the Spring too!
by Anna rate this post as useful

we should meet up!! 2008/11/25 09:43
well if we all get in we should meet up.
i would love not going there all alone.
yeah the wait is killing me too!
is anyone wanting to stay with a family?

Anna & Judith.... 2008/11/25 21:01
And any other Spring 09 Kansai Gaidai-ers!

We should definately meet up. I had to send a bit more information today, there was nothing wrong with my application but they wanted to know more about some medical stuff... so at least I know they are looking at my stuff!!!

I'm planning to stay in the school accomodation not homestay, I have pretty basic Japanese but enough to get by!

Judith, you are doing homestay, right? What about you Anna?

Let me know if either of you get in!

study abroad 2008/11/26 01:22
Guys, best of luck on your year abroad! I just came back from one, had a great time. I really miss Japan already :(
Don't forget to take your shoes off when you enter japanese houses :) and it's nice to bring something (drinks, etc) if you're invited for dinner. I have a pretty large tattoo and had quite a few problems with it (be prepared to not be allowed to join the gym, swimming pools etc). Ohhh, and I saw a really cool video about sushi eating, it's on my blog: http://japanismo.wordpress.com/

Let me know if you have any questions! I'd love to help :)
by corre rate this post as useful

In! 2008/11/29 14:08
Thanks Corre, that video is so funny and I really like your blog.

Anna and Judith, do you know if you are in? I got my notice yesterday- I'm in!!!

I'm so excited. So are there any more tips on living in Hirikata??? All help greatfully received. : )

Is anyone speaking Kansaiben? 2008/11/30 04:10
I was going to advice to your questions as I am a Japanese and used to live in Hirakata but seems you've already got them.you might start speaking Kansaiben which is spoken by the people of particular area I speak Kansaiben too its good though you will make Japanese laugh,Good-luck!
by dinesen rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/11/30 13:27
Thanks Dinesen!

Can anyone tell me if there is a 7/11 in Hirakata? I wa hust thinking for money, although I can just use a post office.

7-11's & weather from Jan-Jun 2008/11/30 14:16
Yup! There is 7-11's in Hirakata but more post offices. The weather is pretty much going to be cold from January-March (Bring some down jackets!). It'll start to warm up in April & will be hot/humid in June. When you move there, you're gonna want to bring all your warm clothes with you first & try to mail all the other things prior to you moving. Shipping cost (Air shipping) will cost you an arm & leg, so send them surface. It'll take longer but it's a hell lot cheaper! If possible & you know the address of the place you're staying at, try to time the shipping of your things by surface mail to your arrival date in Japan. Hope this helps! You're gonna have a blast there!!!=)
by kelii rate this post as useful

: ) 2008/11/30 20:39
Thanks, it's good to know there are some 7-11's as well as post offices. I think the school gives you the option to open a bank account when you arrive but I don't think I will... I'm only there for one semester (four months).

I'm thinking I'll send my summer stuff over by surface and vice versa. I've been over in June before so I have an idea of what to expect with that, but no idea about the January end... I come from a warm climate (Just out of Sydney in Australia), so I don't really have any properly heavy jackets... I'm worried about the cold, really. I'll have to take my gloves and scarfes...

I'll have to go and get a good jacket!

7-11 2008/12/1 06:42
there are over 11000 7-11 in Japan. FOR LOCATIONS:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

i'm waiting until the fall 2008/12/1 07:16
i've had an opportunity to do an internship with my school this next year that i'd be pretty dumb to turn down, so i'm going to push back this until the fall. i'm sorry about missing out on meeting every one this semester! but if you come back in the fall, let's definitely meet up! and this gives me a lot more time to get ready.

Winter in Hiakata 2008/12/1 19:22
The weather right now in Hirakata is about 12-16 degrees C (Day) & 4-6 degrees C at night. It will get much colder in January & February. I know a pretty good down jacket will cost a lot of $$$ but you can always double up with a sweater & jacket.

Oh, just a little note:

It may be cold outside but the minute you walk into an establishment, it's super hot!!! They crank up the heaters!!! With that in mind, you might not want to dress up like you're going deep sea diving. =)
by kelii rate this post as useful

oh 2008/12/2 21:49
...I was looking forward to wearing my diving suit!

Finding a mix of clothes that will be mobile but good for Jan-end June is quite the challenge- kind of doing my head in.

Oh, as a Hirakata local, can you tell me of any good sento?
I'm a sucker for a hot bath and the Japanese really know how to do it!

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

reply to this thread