Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Uni degree to work in Japan? 2008/11/20 10:56
Hi, I am 17 and just graduated high school (last night actually), and I want to go and live and work in Japan.

I am Australian and a girl, so I donft know if that makes a difference, but i have heard from some people that you need a Uni degree to work in Japan!

I am going to start a bachelors degree in Visual Arts and Design with a specialization in photography next year, but it is not at Uni...

The main thing is that it is a Uni course, but i am going to get it through a different type of institution... will this make a difference when applying for a work visa???

Thanks,
Bonnie-Rose
by Bonnie-Rose  

maybe? 2008/11/21 09:13
if your university is not an accredited one, then you will not be able to get a visa when you apply for one in japan.

if it's accredited then that's fine.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Where 2008/11/21 12:00
are you going to study? TAFE? College? Is it a bachelor of arts? If it is a diploma or something equivalent, it will not be sufficient for a work visa. As the above poster said, it must be accredited in order to get a work visa.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

Oops! 2008/11/21 12:02
Just read your post again and you have said it is a bachelors degree. It should be fine then even though the actual institution may not be a university. You could maybe check with the Japan consulate or embassy.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

Thank You! 2008/11/21 12:05
THank you so much Smoke! i read your first post was i was totaly bumbed cos i though i would have to do all this extra stuff that i really have no intrest in to be able to work in Japan, but i you 2nd post had given me hope... and i will check... later.

thanks,
Bonnie-Rose
by Bonnie-Rose rate this post as useful

plenty of opportunity 2008/11/21 16:14
You're from Australia, hence you are an entitled to a working holiday visa.

this page will show what is required for a working holiday visa, and a uni degree is not one of them.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/programme.html#...

US citizens are not entitled to them and so will need a uni degree. You can also apply for student visas but need to go for exchange programs. Search your own school, otherwise Japanese universities which offer courses. Outside organizations may also offer exchange programs such as www.afs.org but applications closed i think early this month.

Hope that helps
by bobo rate this post as useful

thanks, but no thanks 2008/11/21 19:28
thanks for the information Bobo, but i have already looked at that option, but my plan is to stay in japan and be able to work there for arround three years, so the options that you said kinda dont work...

thanks anyway,
Bonnie-Rose
by Bonnie-Rose rate this post as useful

degree needed 2008/11/21 21:42
Well then, your only option is to go to university or another tertiary institution for 3 years and graduate with a Bachelor's degree.

Are you sure you don't want to try a year in Japan before committing yourself to a degree course you don't seem to really want to do? At 18 you could be here on a working holiday visa...
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread