Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Laptop usage in Japan 2008/12/2 12:35
I'm going to Yokohama Japan for a training program, is the electricity voltage the same as in Malaysia 220-240V? Do I need to bring any converter or multi-socket for my lab top? Thanks...
by kklai  

... 2008/12/2 13:08
Voltage in Japan is 100V. Please check the power adaptor box that is connected to the power cable of your laptop; it specifies the voltage range it can be used at. If it says something like 100V - 240V, then voltage is no problem, so you do not need any transformer for voltage. In case it says only 220V - 240V, then you need a transformer (a step-up transformer to convert the Japanese 100V to the 240V required by your laptop).

One thing you probably need to buy, though, is the socket/plug adaptor. Even if your laptop was OK with the voltage in Japan, the socket shape would be different. Check at electrical appliance or travel goods shops.

This is what the plug in Japan looks like:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Voltage in Japan 2008/12/2 13:09
The voltage in Japan is 100v. You might want to bring an adapter with you...preferably a 2 prong adapter. Here's a link that will help you out.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html
by kelii rate this post as useful

speed 2008/12/3 05:52
Word of caution: all our Aussie 220-240V appliances worked VERY SLOWLY in Japan (and USA) on the necessary adaptors.....charging took forever, and hairdryers for example were MUCH less powerful..don't know if that will be an issue with a laptop...
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/3 10:09
Word of caution: all our Aussie 220-240V appliances worked VERY SLOWLY in Japan (and USA) on the necessary adaptors.....charging took forever, and hairdryers for example were MUCH less powerful..don't know if that will be an issue with a laptop...

This is typical of appliances that need to heat up or that don't come with the plastic "brick" transformer on the power cord. Since virtually all laptops come with multiregion transformers you should be fine. As others said, just check that it says something like 100-240v on the brick.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

not slow 2008/12/4 17:45
As for the comment about running slower with the laptop shouldnt all the powerbrick is anyways is a ac to dc converter clocks and a lot of other items generaly have more of a problem with the HZ as in the US is 60hz japan is I belive most places 50HZ which normlay isnt an issue but companys are cheap and use the HZ for timeing in a lot of items to avoid having to have a timeing scource. PS to save time ill explain HZ its the ammount of times an AC signal goes from negative to positive in a second so in the US it changes 60times hence 60hz only things really hurt and that wont work right can be clocks. long winded i know lol
by ExAirForced rate this post as useful

reply to this thread