Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mitaka? 2008/12/4 08:12
Hello all!
I'm thinking about staying in Mitaka for my year in Japan, commuting to my school in Shinjuku. I'm wondering if anyone's got any impressions of the place (Mitaka), what's it like?

If anyone's got the least information, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you! :) /Emma
by Emma  

mitaka rocks! 2008/12/4 15:11
id say mitaka is pretty laid-back area to live. I had an apartment in mitaka and i really liked my quiet neighbourhood. Less populated than the city center, but still 20 minutes to Shinjuku, only a few minutes to Kichijoji(where there are tons of nice shops and cafes)
by jguy rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/4 18:52
If you are talking about the Mitaka Station area.
The mitaka station area is split into two parts, the North Part is actually Musashino City and the South Party is Mitaka City. Both are what you can consider suburbs of Central Tokyo. As mentioned next stop is Kichijoji which has lots of shopping, bars, restaurants etc. As mentioned its roughly 20 mins from Shinjuku, so its not a bad suburb of central Tokyo, if you can find the right price for a place.
by John rate this post as useful

:)! 2008/12/4 19:08
Thanks so much for your answers!
Hm ... the thing is, I'm really in love with the Ueno/Asakusa area of Tokyo, but this place in Mitaka was really convenient and very good price ...

Could one maybe compare the Mitaka area with any area in central Tokyo? I lived in Ryusen (northeast area) for a while, really really liked it but I have no idea if it's quite a "common looking" place for being the outskirts of Tokyo.
by Emma rate this post as useful

Mitaka 2008/12/4 21:22
Mitaka is a nice area- Inokashira Park is not far away. The more central western suburbs of Tokyo are far less "gritty" feeling than somewhere like Ueno or Asakusa and much greener. I live about 10 minutes by train from Mitaka and I really like this general area.

I have never been to Ryusen, sorry, so can't compare. The suburbs not too far out of Shinjuku on the Chuo Line are a bit more upmarket than the more working class northeast, very generally speaking.
by Sira rate this post as useful

I Love Mitaka-ku 2008/12/4 22:11
First of all... 20 minute commute is nothing. I do 90 minutes everyday. My husband works in Mitaka and even though we currently live in southern Nerima-ku we really would like to buy a house in Mitaka. It is a great place to live and raise a family. The rent is cheaper and there is a wonderful sense of community. Not to mention Inokashira park has great cherry blossoms. Also, the amazing Showakinen park is just a few more stops down the line.

If you are looking for a little more excitement, then I would recommend living in Kichijoji. There are tons of restaurants and bars (Japanese and Western) and the only Subway sandwich I can find on the west side. If you can afford it, I would also recommend Koenji. Koenji is the current hot spot for the young and hip west siders. There are dozens of kooky little clothing shops and great little restaurants.

However, in comparison to Ueno area... it can not compare. Mitaka obviously doesn't have all the museums, homeless people and touristy stuff you find in your Frommer's book.

I must confess, I am a west sider loyalist. I love the suburban cleanliness and safety yet still having the convenience of Tokyo living. And downtown craziness, museums and Iseten shopping is just a short train ride away.

It all comes down to your priorities... If you want a cheaper, albeit quieter, living situation then Mitaka is perfect. But if you are still in the party it up crazy days of your youth, then... maybe living in a little 1K downtown is more ideal for you.

Best of luck in what ever you chose!!!

Jody
by Jody in Japan rate this post as useful

Sweet! 2008/12/5 07:23
Thank you all so much once again! I have now decided to go with Mitaka, I think it will be a good decision :) Nice to hear so many positive thoughts about the place!
by Emma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread