Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Old-fashioned? 2008/12/10 04:17
Is the name "Hanako" (華子 or 花子) old-fashioned in today's Japan?
Or is it still a common name for newborns?
by Risu  

. 2008/12/10 09:00
Unlike names like John and Mary, names like Taro or Hanako are what you usually see in bed time stories or example formats. You know, like if you go to a bank, there is a note saying, "Please fill in your name on the blank format. Here is an example; Hanako Yamada."

So it's not that names like Taro and Hanako don't exist, but the fact that our Prime Minister's name is Taro attracts a lot of giggles, which is probably a good thing for a person who needs attention. Same thing with Hanako.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Hana, Mary etc. 2008/12/10 22:13
I have a friend called Hanako, she's 34.

While there may be a few younger Johns around, Mary is very rare among people younger than about 60 years old. I have never come across a Mary the same age as me or younger.

If someone had the name "John Smith", that would also cause people to laugh.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Princess name 2008/12/10 23:26
It is true that names with 子 are old-fashioned now.

子 was used only for aristocrat in the old times.
When new era of Meiji(1868-1912) started, the average
people began to use it. But in the 60's, when
postwar-grown-up children became parents, names with
美/恵/江/././././ spread all over this country.
by 和子 rate this post as useful

Regarding the Name 2008/12/11 11:28
In my opinion Hanako is a lovely name, but it's old-fashioned. A name ending with ''Ko'' is rarely given nowdays, but there are still newborns being born with that name ending. Riko, Momoko, Nanako, Sakurako for example (just to name a few).

However, I advice you to name your child whatever you feel like you want to. Be brave and use whatever you think is beautiful. Just remember not to name her something ridiculous.
by monica rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/12/12 04:42
thank you monica (and the others for their answers):
I really like the name but wasn't sure how this name is seen today. In the end it should be me to decide how to name my child and I should trust my feeling for this name. If I like it, it'll be the perfect name for my daughter.
by Risu rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/12 05:29
I know a young girl who was named Hanako because her great grandma (American) had some connection to Japan. I am Japanese and I have always liked the name and also Hana(華), which sounds like Hannah. Though it seems old fashined to some (many?), for me it is a beautiful classic name.
by . rate this post as useful

You are welcome 2008/12/12 07:05
Personally, I love old-fashioned names and I prefer them over the more modern names. If you really want to name your daughter Hanako, you should do it.

To ease your anxiety about the name, I looked it up and in 2007, (according to meijiyasuda.co.jp) these 4 „Ko” names were in the top 100 most given names in Japan : Riko, Hinako, Sakurako, Momoko. If there is nothing wrong with Hinako, there is nothing wrong with the similar sounding Hanako. Also, I believe there is a Princess Hanako (written 華子) in Japan and I haven’t heard of anyone making fun of her name.
by monica rate this post as useful

If she goes to China 2008/12/12 11:15
The meaning of 花子 is beggar in Chinese.
by huazi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread