Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finance crisis and workingvisa-jobs? 2008/12/11 04:06
Hello all.
Im planning to get a working holiday visa and go to Japan to improve my japanese (its a longer story).

I worry about if the financial and ecnomomic crisis will make it very hard to get a job.
I hope to get a job that is not teaching english, but rather something where you can use your japanese a bit more. Like working in a restaurant.

I will be able to speak JLPT level 3 Japanese (more or less) when I arrive. I also speak English, Chinese, German and Danish. I do not have a bachelor's yet )-:

I just want to a avoid this worse case scenario nightmare ive been having. Coming to Japan in the midst of the economic crisis and go look for a job alongside of hordes of unemployed japanese. Who all hate me like the plague for being an evil foreigner who comes to steal their jobs.

What is everyones take on Japan and the worldwide depression?
by shivan  

... 2008/12/11 10:15
Be aware that without a BA/BS or many years of relevant work experience you do not qualify for a work visa. Also note that jobs such as waitressing cannot sponsor a work visa.

If you intend to work then you may qualify for a working holiday visa. What country are you from?

Another option would be to enter a language school and come over on a student visa although this would require considerable funds.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

jobs 2008/12/11 10:23
The OP has mentioned that they will get a working holiday visa and not a working visa.
I think there are restrictions on how many hours you are allowed to work on a working holiday visa (you should double check this), but regarding types of jobs outside of teaching, there are quite a few around such as waiting at restaurants, etc. but I don't think they pay too well. Even though you don't want to teach, the money would probably be better and you wouldn't have much of a problem in finding work (whereas it may take you quite some time finding other jobs). If you work at a bar or restaurant, it would more than likely be at a place catered towards foreigners and so you would use English pretty much most of the time.
Some of the other posters here may be able to correct me on this, but this is from my experience.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/11 10:38
my bad, please ignore my previous post.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thanks so far 2008/12/11 15:18
i understand why ''yllwsmrf'' would be confused.
My problem was that the title would not otherwise fit into the 40 characters limit.
I hope get some job like that. If there is just some kind of job to get. This year im socking away cash. I hope to have as much as 5000 USD minus the ticket when I arrive in Japan.
I just hope the Yen falls down to normal value soon, it appraciated like 40% versus the danish krone.
Im from Denmark.
by shivan rate this post as useful

Hi Shivan 2009/2/16 18:40
According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa#Japan Japan and Denmark don't have a working holiday visa agreement with each other. This may be wrong so you might have to look into it further.
by kanjiman1 rate this post as useful

Never explicity trust wikipedia 2009/2/16 22:37
Denmark and Japan have a working holiday visa agreement.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html

by silverjets rate this post as useful

hei hei! 2009/2/18 17:32
no, prob for you to find a work. I am also on a working holiday visa in japan and no, there are no time-distrinctions. you can work full-time.
and there are always thousends of free hall-staff jobs available. hey, its japan! one of the most important things is food...haha!
but one tip. first, I would look for western bars or cafes or something like that. they often take gaijins. japanese ones, too, but that not that often.
just review your keigo. My first job was as a waitress in a beer-hall and it wasn`t that bad, actually funny, but now I wouldn`t change my office work for it...

good luck!
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread