Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long hair for men and employment? 2008/12/11 15:24
I have heard sometimes that Japan is a quite conservative country.
I'm a college student of 22 from Denmark and I have long (shoulders) silverbolde hair (kinpatsu).
Is it likely to be an issue when trying to find a job?

I am not a punk/pothead/hippe/homeless or anything.

I just heard some really extreme stories about hair from Japan, people getting kicked out of highschool for dyeing their hair etc..
by shivan  

Long hair 2008/12/11 17:13
Shivan,

It depends on what kind of job you are applying for.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Hair! 2008/12/11 23:52
Well you're not Japanese, so I doubt anyone will blame you for your natural hair color. However I don't know if the length will make a difference.

Maybe keeping it tied back and neat will help.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Depends 2008/12/12 08:07
As above, colour won't be an issue as long as it isn't blue. Length, well, are you looking for a job as an investment banker or a bartender?
by Sira rate this post as useful

job 2008/12/12 16:51
I'm probably more in the bartender/waiter category than the investment banker one.
by shivan rate this post as useful

it depends 2008/12/12 17:38
If your just looking to get a casual job like bartending then your find and dont worry. seriously i've seen some j guys with the most wacked out hair i have ever seen in my entire life! lol.

If your looking to get a job at a company thats a different story. I actually knew this japanese guy who had to wear a short hair wig to cover his long hair because his boss didn't like it. it was pretty funny actually.

so yeah it depends on the situation and the boss.
by sakuraneko rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/13 18:09
Oh please, I think most people on Japan-Guide are conservatives, maybe.

but in Japan, I see all kind of hair, there are a lot of guys with long hair, or some creative forms of hair, and there are all kind of hair dyeing.

but for sure it depends on the job, but just wanted to tell you, if these things are pretty normal here, then they won't be surprised, they might just ask you to change. that's all
by man rate this post as useful

Keep it neat 2008/12/13 21:06
Well, I'm president of a company in Japan and I deal with major Japanese corporations every day. And I've got shoulder length hair. No problem, as long as your hair is neat and you are well-dressed. Japanese care greatly about details, and will judge you by how much you appear to care about details. If it looks like you have gone through great trouble to keep your long hair neat, and keep your appearance tighty, you will be on your way. Look careless or slovenly, or appear to lack awareness of the impression you make on others, and you are doomed.
by styrofoamdeity rate this post as useful

you're probably just a teenager, Man 2008/12/14 00:21
To Man,

If a guy comes to a bank job interview with long bleached hair, then they'll just see you as a kind of a person who doesn't know how to behave at the right place at the right time, and give you a no for an answer, that's all.

If a guy comes for a designer job interview, they won't even care about the length or color of your hair. They just judge how sophisticated the hair-do is.

Hey, if you're a student trying to enter an average high school, they'll just flunk your entrance exam if you come applying with long bleached hair, so you'll have to wait until you've actually entered a school with less hair rules.

It's not elementary school or college. They don't really "ask" you to change your hair. Everyone's expected to have learned the rules by the time you're old enough to apply for something.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread