Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Got invited for new year what to do? 2008/12/14 19:54
I'll be spending new year in Tokyo this year for the first time. I don't live there, but I have to go to Japan a lot because of my work. I just got invited to spend new years eve and new years day together with a Japanese friend of mine and his family. He said it's going to be very traditional, with hatsuhinode and lot's of traditional food at new years day. I'm really excited and very glad to be invited but... over here it's customary to take for example a bottle of champagne to the party. What is expected of guests in Japan? I'd like to take something along for the host, are there any rules to this? what is a customary to take. I feel it might be nice to take something from my own country. Please help me out...
by sphinxathome  

. 2008/12/15 10:35
I think they would appreciate some champagne. Though I know that a good winter favorite is Ice Wine. I'm sure they'll love that. In addition to the drink bring something from your area too that relates to the new year's. Maybe your country's version of a new year's card and give it to them or a common toy/candy that children get.

It may be a bit tangent, but I recently made a gingerbread house with the Japanese exchange students here. They have never heard of it before so it was fun to make it with them. Maybe you can buy a gingerbread house set and do it with them. Then you can eat it!
by . rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/15 11:00
I would not worry about any rules or whatsoever - I think taking something (if you can) from your country would be nice as a gesture and appreciated. A bottle of champagne as an example of what's customarily enjoyed at the New Year's party in your country would be also appreciated - in a traditional Japanese New Year's, champagne does not quite fit in, though :)

If they said "hatsuhinode" as well, that means you'll be either staying up from the Eve or getting up very early to go watch the first sunrise... I have no idea where they might go... so not much for drinking, right? There will be a lot of food on the Eve and on the New Year's Day... enjoy!! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/15 11:17
Does your friend have children? If he/she does, "otoshidama" would be appreciated.

http://www.tjf.or.jp/deai/contents/teacher/mini_en/html/otos...

. 2008/12/15 11:29
In the 30 odd years of my living in Japan and the 4 years of living in the U.S., I'd never heard of Ice Wine, but if it's something special to the sender, then great.

I really think champagne would be perfect. If there are family members who can't/don't drink, then a box of sweets would be appreciated along with it.

For all the rest, I'm sure your friend will be more than happy to guide you, but you might want to keep in mind that it is customary for adults to give "otoshidama" to children (usually relatives and friends) you greet during Jan 1st to 3rd. Neat, say, 1000 yen bills are to be enclosed in tiny envelopes available at convenience stores here in Japan. But if you don't greet children, you're lucky :)

Happy Holidays!
by Uco rate this post as useful

whoops 2008/12/15 11:31
You posters beat me to the forum in a nick of time! Sorry for the duplicated info.

. 2008/12/15 12:16
Uco, here's info on Ice Wine. It's actually Canadian but it's good. My host family liked it a lot.

http://www.northwest-wine.com/Ice-Wine.html

Excusme 2008/12/15 12:51
Sorry for the odd question but you said your job takes you to Japan a lot? What type of job would you have if you don't mind me asking?
by Guy rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/12/15 21:15
Thanks to . for the info on Ice Wine. I'd like to try it some day.

thnx 2008/12/15 21:39
Thank you all so much for the info. I think I've got a good idea what to take now... Well we are going to climb a mountain to see the first sunrise. So yeah, shouldn't drink to much. And hmm, I guess I have to buy some of those envelopes. Hope I don't see to many children, haha.
by sphinxathome rate this post as useful

reply to this thread