Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

adopting a shiba inu in japan? 2008/12/18 11:40
hi guys i have been thinking of adopting a dop for a little while. and while on my trip in japan i have came across a couple of the shiba inu. they are a beautiful dog. does any one know where i can find a reputable breeder in japan preferbably near nagano or tokyo. i will be leaving back to canada in mid february.

i have a loving home. decent size back yard and is allowed to come in the house whenever he wants.

also will it be easy for me to bring one in to canada. will the process be easy. and generally what other fees will i be looking at.

i have never brought an animal in to canada before. thanks
by dave  

... 2008/12/18 12:06
For leaving Japan, this is what's needed:
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/tetuzuki/system/pdf/applicationex-...

For requirements *into* Canada, please ask at Canadian Embassy in Japan.

Also please take into consideration the stress that the dog might be placed during the move, particularly if you adopt a young one. Shiba are by now well known also in countries outside Japan - maybe it's an idea to find a breeder/resource once you have settled back into Canada.
by AK rate this post as useful

Canadian rules 2008/12/18 14:48
Here is a link to answer your questions about importing a dog into Canada.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogs...
by ... rate this post as useful

About Shibas 2009/1/1 06:02
I myself have a Shiba Inu(purchased in the States). While they are beautiful to look at, and his looks hook everybody, Shibas do have QUITE a personality. Don't get suckered in by appearances alone - research the breed and decide if the personality type is compatible with you. In general, my dog is good natured and harmless, and VERY intelligent - but this does not equal obedience. If you ask him to do something, he asks (in his own way) "What's in it for me?" If you provide enough incentive he will oblige, but your praise is definitely NOT enough to entice him to obey. The biggest Shiba flaw is they are not, not, NOT off-leash dogs. Never, ever, ever. They run away. It's just what they do. Any opportunity for escape, from house, handler, or yard, they will take. If they don't get stopped by a stranger, or hit by a car, they may return home eventually, but obviously it is a stressful situation to have to keep the house on lock-down all the time in order to make sure the dog does not escape.

Just trying to spare you some heartache through the benefit of my wisdom :) I can't tell you how many times I've seen my dog almost hit by a car. He's definitely a character and I love him to pieces, but a Shiba will test you.
by Elana rate this post as useful

dogs 2009/1/1 16:28
The post by Elana is is very interesting as it describes 100% a dog I once had. Not a Shiba at all but a brown- haired pup poodle that was sold to us as perfect for the city (we did have a small backyard). She was ok for 6 months then the first time we brought her to the pet shop for a haircut she bit the girl twice then ran wild around the pet shop terrorizing staff and all the animals. A few month later I took her to my parents country house for the summer holidays. . They had 4 other dogs, 2 of them big hunting dogs, and she became the leader of the pack. She loved to go to neighbours houses and come back proudly with a semi-live chicken in her mouth!(but never touched my mom free range chicken, ducks etc.) Back in town, no matter as quietly we opened the front door, she would come at full speed from wherever she was hiding in the house and run out in the street, barking and dodging cars, bikes etc. until SHE decided it was no longer fun. So yes BEWARE beautiful dogs who look at you with loving eyes!!!
by Red frog rate this post as useful

time at airport 2009/1/2 13:34
thanks for all the help, but a couple more q`s

1. i am leaving out of narita airport. i was wondering is there a quarantine for the exporting of an animal. or should i arrive a little more earlier then usual for an international flight.
by dg rate this post as useful

reply to this thread