Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where buy meat, and fruits in tokyo ? 2008/12/26 09:43
Hello
I'm in tokyo since 3 days, and nearly lost. Can't found anything but the familymart to do my shopping. Do you have any idea of where I can buy fresh meat, fruits and vegetables ? I am in kanda, shibuya ...
Thank you for your help
by fatou  

question 2008/12/26 17:03
Are you staying at Kanda, or at Shibuya? If at Kanda, is it near the JR station ?
by mikan rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/26 18:33
Are you in Shibuya or Kanda? Two different places. Either case if you are in Kanda, I'm not sure why you are having a hard time finding a market, there are many in the area.

As for Shibuya (if you mean Shibuya Station area) there's a Life Supermarket if you just walk a few away from the main station.
http://www.lifecorp.jp/CGI/store/shop.cgi?mode=map&area_cd=0...

http://www.lifecorp.jp/CGI/store/shop.cgi?mode=detail&area_c...

Generally speaking, in the big commercial areas of Central Tokyo, if you immediately start moving towards the more residential areas you're bound to find a grocery market.
by John rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/12/26 20:02
Thank you for your response; actually I'm living in Kanda, but thought it was inside shibuya...
Anyway this morning I went to Odakyu department store and there was exactly what I was looking for. I don't know kanda but maybe I should hung out in the area and get to know it.
Thank you for your help
by fatou rate this post as useful

a supermarket in Kanda 2008/12/26 22:12
Boy! You sure are lost. Kanda, Shibuya and Odakyu Dept. Store are in three totally different places.

From a quick internet search, I found a supermarket near Kanda Station with reasonable prices and a good selection of food. It's called Kaede and it's supposed to be a 5 minutes walk from the West Exit of JR Kanda Station. Go straight down a shopping street called "Nishi Shotengai," cross a big street called Sotobori-dori, and it's right there.
http://www.super-kaede.jp/access.html

I hope you really live near Kanda!
by Uco rate this post as useful

thanks for the tips 2008/12/26 23:16
Yes I live in kanda, near the kanda station I am quite sure of that :)
Odakyu is not near kanda, but it was the only information I get (from the forum) in fact so...
And it is not really far from kanda by JR.
Thank you for your answer I will try your adress ...
by feuze rate this post as useful

map 2008/12/26 23:40
yikes, first thing you need to do is get a map in english or whatever your native language is. it is not too good to be lost in tokyo since you can end up just wandering miles in any direction and never get where you are trying to go, you'll just find more apartment buildings and stuff.

if you are really lost in kanda there are a number of big stores near you in akihabara. you can either walk or take the train there - it'll be 130 yen. if you keep going you will get to ueno which also has a large number of shops you can go to. if you want the best selection near you ikebukuro is probably the closest with some of the larger department stores in tokyo, and a very large selection of fruits, veges and meat, with produce available from all over the world. but it's expensive!

but i can't stress enough - you need a MAP, and soon.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Kanda Nishi-guchi Shotengai 2008/12/27 23:17
Sorry, in my previous post I wrote that you should go through "Nishi Shotengai" to get to the supermarket, but I seemed to have mis-typed. It's actually called "Nishi-guchi Shotengai" (which means "west exit shopping street").

Needless to say, this shotengai itself is filled with small shops and restaurants run by the old-timers of the town. Be sure to check this street out.
http://www.kandaeki-nishiguchi.or.jp/index.htm

. 2008/12/28 08:16
Winterwolf,

I think YOU need a map. Ikebukuro is no where near Kanda indeed. The original poster should be able to find all foods she needs in Kanda. Nishiguchi Shotengai looks like a good place to start. No need to take a train for grocery shopping in Tokyo!
by sachy rate this post as useful

Sachy 2008/12/28 14:14
Winterwolf wrote, "if you want the best selection near you." I see no problem with that.

. 2008/12/28 14:52
And pay the high prices if you go to one of those places. I agree though you need to walk around and find a local shop. Again the more residential area you are the more you will find one.

Once you find your local shop, then you can partake in discount shopping like I do. Usually before a supermarket closes, perishable items go on super discounts 50% + at my local market, so I'm out and about at midnight shopping.

ikebukuro 2008/12/30 08:15
kanda to ikebukuro is only 20 minutes by train and in my opinion offers better selection than the shops in shinjuku, especially in regard to specialty / imported foreign foods i.e. cheeses, certain cuts of meat, etc. 20 minutes by train is not exactly far for most people!
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/30 15:33
If the OP wishes to stick with local food which should be generally cheaper, finding a local market without having to get on a train, but walking 5-10minutes would be the best place to start.

Though I'm curious exactly where the OP is, I don't recall an Odakyu Store being at Kanda Station, and I go Kanda almost every week.

... 2009/1/3 05:11
You can tried Ueno or Jusco. Jusco has a supermarket in the basement. They have very reasonable price for all kinds of things. This is were my husband and I go when we visited Japan.
by Jenn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread