Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Diploma 2008/12/26 12:39
Is the original diploma must be surrendered to the immigration in able to get a work visa. I asked my employer about my diploma and said that it is at the immigration. I don't get it. Why would they want to get and keep the actual diploma? Will they give it back once you've finished working here in Japan?

My transcript of records is fine, they could have it because i can request it over and over again. But the diploma is different, I need to get an Affidavit of Loss and request again at the university (such a hassle and very time consuming).

Thanks in advance
by phoenix  

... 2008/12/26 17:13
As far as I know, you should ask to have it back. And no, I don't think you have to submit the original.

In the first place, the employer should not have submitted the original to Immigration for them to keep. At most, Immgration wants to SEE the original then keep either a photocopy (which the applicant can make in advance and take together with the original, so that they can see that it is a true copy), or Immigration might take a copy after seeing the original. Or a transcript of records should be fine.

Do you already have the visa issued, and you don't have the diploma back?
by AK rate this post as useful

Diploma 2008/12/26 18:05
Actually im also the one in the "Re-Entry Permit Worries". I went to the immigration last thursday and at last, I was able to get a re-entry permit. My visa extension is still on process. I will be leaving Japan tomorrow for my vacation and I wanted to have my diploma back. Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is now. I don't want to bother my boss anymore this time because he might get annoyed. What do you think should i do? I could request for a new diploma back home but it's not that easy and the processing period takes ages.
by phoenix rate this post as useful

reply to this thread