Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking to move to Tokyo any advice? 2008/12/27 14:28
Hi,
Looking to move to Tokyo from Kobe, for a little more cosmopolitan life.
- Can I expect that?
- Are there any surrounding areas anyone could recommend for cheaper accommodation and a more relaxing atmosphere. Zushi seems nice, but maybe not so far.

Cheers,

Red0
by Red0  

Yokohama? 2008/12/28 13:17
I've never been to Kobe but I was told that it's very cosmopolitan for a Japanese city. In Tokyo, Shitamachi is more laid back than the rest of the city but it's less cosmopolitan. Roppongi and Azabu Juban are more cosmopolitan but not very relaxing. Maybe Hiroo? But it's an expensive neighborhood. Lastly, you could try Yokohama, cosmopolitan and more laid back than Tokyo.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

to Tokyo? 2008/12/28 17:08
Everytime I am in Kobe I see lots of foreign children in private schools uniforms. There are quite a few private schools and high price housing catering to foreign residents in both Kobe and nearby Ashiya.. Osaka is fairly cosmopolitan too and has great department stores. I find the Kansai much more interesting than the Kanto by far. It also depends by what your really mean by cosmopolitan. I prefer places patronized by natives. rather than places catering to North Americans in Europe and Japan and for places catering to Europeans in North America.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Looking to move to Tokyo any advice? 2008/12/30 11:17
Hey guys, thx for the response. Maybe I was a little misleading when I said 'cosmopolitan'. I think "open-minded" or "progressive" would be more accurate. I am finding the Hyogo/Kansai areas, esp. Kobe & Hanshin region, quite conservative. I suppose coming from London I'm used to a little more high cultured & free thinking environment, rather than just the same. So this is not necessarily about integrating, but about a more liberal and cultivated mind-set. Can I find such a community in Kansai/Hyogo? Or will a Tokyo move be necessary?
by Elegba rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/30 13:29
I used to live in Kobe for several years together with my non-Japanese spouse, and we found it quite open, just as any port town/city would be. We moved from London to Kobe back then, and we found it comfortable to be in.

We've been back in Tokyo for the past ten or so years already - but more and more I feel that while there are busy city centers that might make it look like a large cosmopolitan city, Tokyo is a huge agglomeration of small villages bunched together in a sense lol. And don't forget that everyone from all over Japan comes to Tokyo, thinking there is something; not all Tokyo people are locals. Which gives a good mix, I'm sure, as London is. But yet I feel that everyone retains the village mentality. In terms of "cultural" infrastructure, sure there are museums and other attractions, but those are very crowded - so in that sense you cannot really expect the same easy access to art you might have in London or New York, for example.

As an area, you might try Yokohama (another port city), or if you want a place that promotes true integration and a bit more progressive, try Kawasaki city - I hear there have a city ordinance prohibiting landlords from discriminating against non-Japanese and senior citizens trying to rent properties. It tells more about what the rest of the nation is doing, doesn't it.

I don't mean to be bitter, but I might say you sound like you want to try living in Tokyo, so I think you should do that once. Whether you would find it rewarding or not, that's another question. For myself - if I had a job to sustain us in Kobe, I would go back anytime :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Best cultured area in Japan 2009/1/1 14:45
Hey Guys,

This has been extremely useful and many thx for ur opinions. All have been very gd, but AK's was well thought out. It seems to compound the positives of Kobe, & it sounds like it may be hard pushed to get much better in Japan. My issue now is that I have until next August until my Visa expires, b4 this post I had the idea of moving to Tokyo for the remaining 5/6 months, but now after your comments, I am thinking perhaps I should be a little more patient & give it a little more time, as I've only been hear 7/8 months. Also, it may help to double my efforts in seeking out those cultural circles I miss from London.
AK re your Kawasaki comment: http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/regions.htm
by Elegba rate this post as useful

reply to this thread