Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just got back from peace corps 2009/1/1 10:21
Hello everyone! I'm in need of some assistance(advice) with wanting to live in japan, I'm going to, of course, find out a majority of my information from real-life sources, but help from people online is rarely a bad thing.

Well I'm 20 years old, I joined the peace corps when I was 18 and was stationed in areas all over(ok ok, 3 places) asia, my favorite, though, was japan. The Name of the place where we stayed escapes my mind at the moment, though I couldn't help but realize how amazing japan was, even more so when we went into towns and cities. After coming back to the states and realizing how much more I enjoyed japan, it has made me finally make my choice to move to japan, just one problem - how?

I haven't been to college yet, would that be a wise choice before moving? My plan was originally going to be:(before I wanted to go to japan) go to school for 3 yrs using nurse fast track to graduate early, spend 2 years as an emergency care nurse then go to anesthesia school and become a CRNA. Would it be wise to do this before moving to japan? A friend of my suggested going to school for 3 years and taking up a japanese class also, and do my nursing thing/anesthesia school in japan.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

(I heard it can be hard for a foreigner to live in japan, I'm half black half white but a japanese friend of mine told me that younger japanese people love black/white people O.o sooo I dunno)
by Aj  

visa and job issues 2009/1/1 18:25
Your main issue is that in order to get a working visa, you are going to need a full university degree. Without a degree (or many years relevant working experience), an employer cannot sponsor you for a visa and therefore cannot employ you.

Also, if you are thinking of looking for a nursing job in Japan, you should be aware that so far, the only non-Japanese permitted to work as nurses here have been small groups of Filipinos and Indonesians who have come over on special programs and were given intensive Japanese language training before being allowed to work in the field of caring for elderly people.

This is a very recent development, and the government doesn't yet show any signs of opening up the nursing profession to foreigners any more than that in the near future.

Obviously a pretty high level of spoken and written Japanese would be necessary to work in a hospital in Japan, and that needs several years of study in itself.

It is not especially hard to live in Japan as a foreigner, particularly in the bigger cities, but you obviously need to look into the degree/visa/jobs available issue before you worry about that.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread