Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to do about a death in the family? 2009/1/6 23:27
I received a letter from my host family about two days ago. My host mother's mother died recently from cancer. I really liked obaasan, we spent quite a bit of time at her house during my one month stay in Japan. I want to send a card or something, but I'm not really sure what's custom for that in Japan.

Also, double whammy, my host sister's little cousin is in the hospital with cancer. He is such a bright little boy and very cute. He got sick the day before I left to return to America, but they didn't know what it was at the time (or just didn't tell me). Please tell me what I can do for him too.

Everyone's responses on this forum are very thoughtful and helpful. I look forward to hearing your solutions.

ヨロシクお願いします。
by Ranguvar  

. 2009/1/7 10:55
I would send a card to the mourning family. I would write what a great time you had at obaasan's house. Try to write in details as mush as you can.

For the boy, I would also send a card along with a stuffed animal or anything he would like.

Whatever you do, I am sure they will appreciate your efforts and considerations.
by . rate this post as useful

Sending gifts to sick children 2009/1/10 13:34
So sorry to hear about your friends. I have just spent two weeks in a paediatric unit in hospital in Tokyo with my daughter (who is now fine) and one thing I noticed - the kids having chemo treatment decorated their IV posts with streamers and balloons and things. You could maybe send something like that. They tend to be in hospital for a very long time, so any kind of cuddly toys, books, games, anything to help them pass the time can be good - it gets pretty boring in there at times!!!
by kirakira25 (guest) rate this post as useful

sending gifts to sick children 2009/1/10 13:36
Oh! One more thing! A brightly colored character pillow-case/bedspread would be great! Hospital bedding is a bit depressing!

Hope these suggestions help!
by kirakira25 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread