Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Drivers License Conversion 2009/1/12 21:23
I was wondering what, if any, penalty or fine there would be for having used an international drivers permit for over 1 year in Japan. I've been getting my renewed for a few years now but would like to get a legitimate Japanese license. As a US citizen I understand I'll have to take a written and driving test but I've heard a few stories (urban legend?) of fines/arrest/2 year suspension of license. Any truth to this or am I worrying too much?
by hokurikuscott (guest)  

... 2009/1/13 10:00
You could be fined with driving without a license, which is a major offense of the traffic laws. You can be punished with up to one year in prison or with a fine of up to 300,000 yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Rules don't bend much here 2009/1/13 11:29
Japan isn't a country that is lax on regulations. If caught you would be considered to be driving without a license and would be treated accordingly.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

You said it yourself 2009/1/13 20:49
I think you answered you question yourself when you said what the penlty or fine would be. Its simple follow the rules and you do not have a problem.
The reason why the US are required to take a written and pratical test is that they do not have a common driving licence issued by the goverment. I beleive they are issued by their respected states. Just take the bullet and take your Japanese test all the information is on the JAF website in english.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

..... 2009/1/14 00:21
I know of only one foreigner who passed his driving test on the first try. It is very expensive to get a license there, but not as much as getting caught without one. The chances of getting caught are quite high for gaijin, don't risk it.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

Reason 2009/1/14 11:43
Dan posted:
''The reason why the US are required to take a written and pratical test is that they do not have a common driving licence issued by the goverment. I beleive they are issued by their respected states. ''

This is NOT the reason!!

Australian driver's licences are issued on a state by state basis, but these can be converted to a Japanese licence without a written or driving test.

I think it may have something to do with country agreements.
by SandyS rate this post as useful

Driving 2009/1/14 14:57
The reason US citizens can't easily transfer their license is because they drive on the right side and their steering is on the left side.
Friends from England and such have no problem because they much like many other countries drive in the same manner as japan.
by Daisuke (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/14 15:15
I was wondering what, if any, penalty or fine there would be for having used an international drivers permit for over 1 year in Japan. I've been getting my renewed for a few years now but would like to get a legitimate Japanese license. As a US citizen I understand I'll have to take a written and driving test but I've heard a few stories (urban legend?) of fines/arrest/2 year suspension of license. Any truth to this or am I worrying too much?

I'm reading your question as: you have been driving on a renewed IDP (technically illegal) and are wondering if you were to get a Japanese license would there be any ramifications for having been driving on an illegal IDP.

If this is what you're asking then I believe you are worrying too much. Unless you were to be caught driving on an expired IDP (which yours is as IDPs expire one year from the entry date on your visa regardless of the IDP's expiry date), then there would be no way for the traffic center to know that you've been driving illegally.

The suspension that you've heard about can apply if you've been caught driving illegally, or if you have traffic violations while on an IDP. Assuming you have none of those then you should be fine.

Good luck on the test, it will probably take you a few tries over a few months. I suggest taking at least one driving lesson as the test is more on your test taking ability than your driving skills. And do it soon. The penalties are just not worth it.

Dan posted:
''The reason why the US are required to take a written and pratical test is that they do not have a common driving licence issued by the goverment. I beleive they are issued by their respected states. ''

This is NOT the reason!!

Australian driver's licences are issued on a state by state basis, but these can be converted to a Japanese licence without a written or driving test.

I think it may have something to do with country agreements.

There is no one reason, and I believe you are both right. It is partly due to reciprocal agreement. Since Japanese in the US are required to get US Driver's Licenses (in as little as 10 days of arriving in some states), Japan is actually more than generous in allowing a 1 year grace period.

HOWEVER, from what I understand it is also partly due to the extreme cost that would be required in certifying that every state had testing procedures and safety records equivalent to Japan.

Canada was only recently allowed to easily exchange licenses after an expensive verification process that took many years to complete. While Canada has 12 provinces and territories and Australia 8, the US has more than 50, so you could expect the time and expense would be many times more.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

And Canadians? 2009/1/14 15:16
Daisuke, I doubt that is the reason, because Canadians also drive on the right but are treated differently.

I have heard it is based on reciprocity- does the US also expect Japanese people to take a driving test there if they stay longer than a year? I wouldn't be surprised to find that that was that case.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

not the reason 2009/1/15 10:56
Daisuke said:

"The reason US citizens can't easily transfer their license is because they drive on the right side and their steering is on the left side.
Friends from England and such have no problem because they much like many other countries drive in the same manner as japan. "

That is not the reason either!!!

Most countries in the EU are also able to convert their drivers licence across to a Japanese one, but most of them drive on the other side of the road!!!
by SandyS rate this post as useful

Respect laws 2009/1/15 16:25
You are in Japan and you should respect the laws here no matter where you are from or no matter where you are living.

My husband (American) converted his driving license into a Japanese license a while ago. The paper test was very easy, but the driving test was rather strict (for especially American) as we had already heard from people. But still he could get his license earlier than we had been worried.

You should think about getting a egitimate Japanese license, not be worried about how much the fine is ... etc.

by J-wife (guest) rate this post as useful

i know from experience... 2009/1/21 15:59
dont do it, or dont get caught.

i had been driving in japan for several years with an international license. i had been pulled over only once in about 5years, (just a regular breath check), and they let it slide or didnt notice anything strange at that time.

years later, i was speeding on the highway with absolutely no one around, and no cops either. i was caught with high speed cameras, was contacted by the police and had to come into the police station for questioning. i confessed to my crimes (speeding and driving without a proper license, since the international only lasts for 1year since coming to japan) and was treated like a horrible criminal. i had to go to court and then found out the bad news: had to pay a fine of about 270,000 yen, had points put on my driving record, plus prohibited from driving for a year.

paid the fine. didnt drive again till i got my official japanese license (wow that was a pain in the ass, but thats another story) and now everything is dandy.
by KuzuRanger (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread