Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anime and Music Districts 2009/1/14 07:26
I'm soon going to visit in Japan and was wondering where the Anime and Music Districts were. And if any decent priced hotels were nearby. I was also wondering the best stores to purchase visual kei/j-rock music. Please reply and help a person out. Thanks
by Darcy (guest)  

Re: 2009/1/14 14:10
As for Animes, Akihabara in Tokyo area is must-visit.
If you are looking for J-Rock CD, you can find them in Akihabara too.
I think there are many guids written in English on the web.

I don't know cheap lodgings in Akihabara, but I've heard that a nearby town, Sanya area has cheap rooms.
But remember it too that Sanya is regarded as a kind of slum by most of Japanese people,
and many Japanese dare not enter that area.
However I don't think that area too dangerous, and feel more terrible when staying in N.Y.
by dice-geist (guest) rate this post as useful

Buy music? Listen to music? 2009/1/14 14:28
Shimokitazawa and Koenji are considered to be the main areas to see live music in Tokyo, if that is what you mean.

Definitely Akihabara for anime and manga-related anything.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/14 14:46
Right next to Koenji is Nakano, where there is a large anime and collectable based shops inside Nakano broadway, possibly the largest collection outside of Akihabara (and less commercialized then Akihabara, thankfully).
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

name of complex in Nakano 2009/1/14 15:48
...which is called Mandarake, in case anyone was wondering.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Music/Anime 2009/1/14 23:59
I wouldn't suggest going to Mandarake. I visited them while I was in Japan, and I was rather disappointed. Of course it depends on what you're interested in, but as an Anime fan I was not impressed.

The better option is going to be Akihabara, and I wouldn't worry about staying right nearby. You can stay almost anywhere and still be close to what you would like to see.

For example, I stayed in Ueno and used the JR Yamanote line to get around easily.

As for music, be sure to check out Yoyogi Park on the weekends, when a lot of amateur bands play outside along the path surrounding the park. And keep in mind that nearby Harajuku is full of music as well as a lot of other pop culture.
by Kelly (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread