Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ricotta cheese, pure beef, and cilantro 2009/1/16 05:23
I'm looking for these things in the supermarket but can't find them.
I have never seen ricotta cheese, beef is always mixed with pork, and I also haven't found cilantro.
Any specialty stores?
by k (guest)  

Groceries 2009/1/16 08:56
Cilantro is sold almost everywhere: the Japanese just call is パクチー (Pakuchi) instead.

Ricotta Cheese: the bigger supermarkets like Ito Yokado usually have a pretty big selection of cheeses.

Yes, supermarkets carry ground beef. You're probably not looking hard enough or you're shopping at a really small store.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

import store or depachika 2009/1/16 09:08
You may need to go to an import store (like Kaldi or Seijo Ishii in the Kanto area) or one of the large department store's food section for ricotta cheese, and it is likely to be expensive.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

available food 2009/1/16 13:21
pure ground beef is available in all supermarkets' in my area, if I can't find it in the meat case I ask the butcher and he will grind it on the spot.

cilantro-coriander leaves--Chinese parsley--pakachi-- surprised to hear it's available in your area, most Japanese I know hate the stuff because it smells like a kame-mushi (stink bug) I have never been able to find it here so I grow my own.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

cheese 2009/1/16 14:56
i know the big department stores at ikebukuro station carry all kinds of cheese.

the supermarket at tabata station on the yamanote line also carries lots of cheeses for a pretty good price compared to the ikebukuro stores as well. i bought a 300gram block of cheddar there for around 300 or 400 yen.

you might consider making your own ricotta cheese as it's a very easy cheese to make, it takes less than 20 minutes and is much cheaper than buying.

i have also found that most japanese hate cilantro but most supermarkets do have it. i use it in indian food all the time, and i've made pesto with it a few times just for fun..!

as for pure beef i would echo the above suggestions to just have your butcher grind it for you, the supermarkets usually only sell it in small packs anyway, otherwise it's mixed with pork in the giant sized packages.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread