Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving on military liscense to Japanese 2009/1/16 05:30
I worked for the US military here in Japan and was driving here for nearly 3 years on their license, but now I quit that job and will work for a Japanese company. Some retired American military mentioned that I can just convert my license from the American base to a Japanese one without taking a test, but I can't seem to find any info on that.
Does anyone know if this is true?
by drivegirl (guest)  

Yes 2009/1/16 18:03
Yes, it's true. I converted my military license to a Japanese one last year. It took me about 4-5 hours to do it but there was no written or driving test involved. It was mostly waiting and more waiting.

I think the only thing I needed, in addition to what's normally required, was my military license and my separation orders.
by Hesus (guest) rate this post as useful

i'm not military though 2009/1/16 18:09
I'm just an employee of the military, so I won't have seperation orders just a cancellation of my Sofa visa and maybe something saying I'm switching over to a japanese company (intsead of being a contractor for the military)

Hesus, do you know if that will still work? Should I have a friend call and inquire for me? Do you remember what dept or who helped you with this?
Thanks!
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/17 01:52
I'm pretty sure your passport showing the SOFA cancellation and any letter from the base stating the same thing will suffice but you should definitely inquire at your local driving license center. When I called them I just said I wanted to do a "gaimen kirikae" and they transferred me to the department. They spoke no English so have your friend call for you.

Also, it's worth noting that you also need a valid US license to do the conversion. It may sound like a "duh" statement but US laws and the SOFA allows military personnel, and maybe DoD civilians(?), to legally drive on expired US licenses (in the States and in Japan). But to do the conversion your US license cannot be expired.
by Hesus (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/1/21 18:09
I'm off to do this now. I hope it works so I can save myself from the aggravation of having to take the test. Any other tips or advice?
by drivegirl/k (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread