Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Negatives living in Japan? 2009/1/18 13:42
I'm moving to Japan soon, and I must say, I'm very excited. I hear so many great things about Japan, but I never hear bad things about it. And I KNOW for a fact, Japan isn't the land of milk and honey. Every country has their problems. So I would like to know, what are the negatives to living in Japan? How are gaijin treated? Now the only thing I've heard bad about Japan, is that the Japanese are very ''closed minded''. Please be honest with me. You can say postive things as well, but what I'm looking for are the negatives, that I am prepared for anything that I may encounter in Japan.

Thanks ^_^
by Jordan91  

. 2009/1/18 14:42
The word "gaijin" is politically incorrect. Though there is even debate among us foreigners in Japan on if we should use it or not. Myself, I personally don't use the word.

Of course there are ups and downs and negatives. Anything you can expect any place to have Japan has it too. Bureaucracy, high cost of living (depending), etc.

Things become a lot easier when you start learning the language, I don't know what exactly you'll be doing in Japan, but do learn the language, it does make life easier.

Negatives can range from anything, racism, big and small (again depending on many factors) this is not just a Japanese thing of course, as all countries have it. But in Japan there aren't as many laws protecting against things like that. If a real estate company refuses you service just because you're a foreigner, well thats nothing much you can do about it but find another real estate agent.

Japanese people are "generally" nice, but don't try to get in their way when they are trying to catch the train to work or home.

Again there are many things that can be negative, imagine if a foreigner moved into the place you lived right now and didn't speak the language too well, how do you their experience will be? Yes you can get by without knowing the language, but life is easier actually knowing it.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/1/18 14:49
Yeah. I see what you mean. I'm going to Japan for college. I'm going to ICU (international christian university). I don't find the word gaijin offensive at all. I mean it just means foreginer after all. ^_^ I do speak japanese somewhat well. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to get around places. Does anyone else have anything to say on this topic?
by Jordan91 rate this post as useful

Negatives 2009/1/18 14:50
Lots of negatives, but more positives. You asked for it.

Pollution and littering is pretty bad. There is no enforecement of pollution laws. People burn garbage in their yards, really. If there is an EPA I've never seen it. In some areas men urinate in public. Feral cats are a problem. Neighbors will gossip like hens. Everything you do will be public unless you're living in a big city. You get stared at, people will speak about you as if you are not there. Some people will avoid you like a criminal. Racism is common. Trying to rent an apartment on your own will be difficult. Food prices(and everything else) are astronomical. Large clothing sizes difficult to find. Theres more....

That being said, if you find alternatives to most of these problems you can thrive.
by farmerjohn1234 rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/18 15:00
And the word "negro" just means a person with black ancestry right?..

In Japan, "gaijin" has become a politically incorrect word, and is often avoided by mainstream media (eg news reports, schools teaching language etc) it is a lot more common for the word "gaigokujin" to be used in its place by the mainstream.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

merge 2009/1/18 16:28
Well, I think this forum itself is full of information on the fair share of negatives, but I suppose that if there are any characteristics on negtives in Japan, it's that the Japanese tend to separate between "locals" and "foreign." And if you have a foreign face, you are likely to be seen as a foreigner no matter how long you've lived here in Japan.

But it really depends. The people who know you well will treat you as who you are and not what country you are from. Also, the younger the generation, the less stereotype they tend to have against foreign people or culture.

I feel that the trick is to try to merge with the locals so that more people will know you as a person rather than as a foreigner. Chat with your neighbors. Go to neighborhood fairs. Find a hobby and attend lessons or hobby groups. Call city halls or ward offices to see if there are any non-profit events you can participate in. Exchange students are previlaged, because they are invited to more gatherings.

Enjoy the differences and try not to imagine that all bad things happen because of the culture. But don't forget to sort out your recyclable garbage and don't make too much noise at your apartment. Your many friends will back you up upon any negatives you might encounter.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/18 16:30
It's funny you bring that up. I am a black dude, and yet i'm not offended by that word. I'm just a little more loose. I just think a word is a word, and really means nothing. But of course not everyone thinks like i do, so I will respect that, and refer foreigners as gaikokujin instead. Have you guys had any personal bad experiences?

pluses 2009/1/18 18:47
its not only the Japanese that differentiate between the locals and the foreigners! this is common everywhere. When my parents ( and me of course) were sent by the government to a small town only 60 km away they were told the very first week "we don't like foreigners here". I now live in North America and in all the small towns everybody mind everybody else business and gossips are wild. There is a difference everywhere between the way tourists are treated (very well as locals want to show how nice they are) and the way immigrants or foreigners with long stay visa are treated (as someone who may get the job of a local and who should know everything about the local culture etc.) That said, it also depends about individuals..If you are naturally good in your heart others will sense it and like you. If you are a nasty person then...Another very important thing is that some people--like me--adapt easily to life in other places, while others, no matter how hard they try, just can't adapt to their new country (even if they were in love with it before going there)
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

crowds, working hours, heat 2009/1/19 09:09
Jordan, have you never heard about the cramped living conditions, long crowded commutes and extremely long working hours many people in Japan have to live with? I thought that kind of thing was common knowledge.

You may not have to deal with all of the above as a foreigner living in Japan, but all of those things can be seen as negatives to living here.

If you don't speak/read fluent Japanese you may find that the language barrier causes you a lot of difficulty at times, this is not always a negative though.

The hot and incredibly humid summers in much of Japan are another negative- if I could leave Japan for 2 or 3 months every summer and come back when it gets cooler I would, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way! It is like a sauna in Tokyo in summer and worse in Kansai- you probably won't believe it until you experience it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Cons?? 2009/1/19 14:40
Heat and humidity would bother me if I lived in Japan permanently (I experienced both one September in Tokyo and had trouble walking around as I was always soaking wet ) but cramped quarters and long commutes are also a fact of life in Paris, London and other major towns, at least for the average .person who work in a store, office, small business etc. and makes a low to moderate income.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Jordan didn't say what part 2009/1/19 17:50
Cramped housing, long crowded commutes, long working hours and humidity is what you face if you live in places like Tokyo or Osaka. In other places, it can be quite the opposite; no neighbor for miles, relying on cars, no job opportunity, heavy snow.

Have you decided where to live and what to do?

. 2009/1/20 09:33
Like I said before, I am going to ICU there for college. I'll be there for 4 years, and after that, will most likely stay. I may stay in Tokyo, but I'm not sure. What are some of the positives about living in Japan?

... 2009/1/20 10:07
Like I said before, I am going to ICU there for college.

I'm probably not the only one who doesn't know where ICU is, so I looked up International Christian University on google and turns out its in Mitaka, Tokyo. Not exactly the heart of the city and with more in common with the suburbs than with Shinjuku. Looks like a nice place to live to me. Of course you could live anywhere that suits you in Tokyo but still have a decent commute to school.

I'll be there for 4 years, and after that, will most likely stay. I may stay in Tokyo, but I'm not sure. What are some of the positives about living in Japan?

I think you're focusing too much on the positives and negatives, and you're in danger of being preconditioned to seeing things as other people saw them. I think its best to come with an open mind and expect to experience a culture that is different from your own. Then make your own judgment on whether the things you experience are positive or negative.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Beware of preconceptions 2009/1/20 10:31
I agree with yllwsmrf- I recommend not looking too much into preconceived positives and negatives as different people have very different experiences, and coming over with stereotypes already in place will not enhance your experience any.

I first came to Japan in 1995, before the internet was widely used, and because of that I knew very little of what it was like to live in Japan. I had almost no expectations, so nothing was a disappointment. I think there is such a thing as too much information.

If you really want to know a positive or two, the public transport in Tokyo is great, and the customer service is excellent, if somewhat robotic at times.

Whoops 2009/1/20 10:45
You did mention ICU. ICU has a long tradition of accepting students of international background. Mitaka area also has a long tradition of dealing with exchange students and expats. I used to live around there. It's a nice area to live in. Don't worry about it. As it has been mentioned many times on this forum, be positive, keep your mind opened, and you'll be happy making others happy as well.

. 2009/1/21 02:56
I guess you guys are right. I'm going to go with what the last 3 posters said. My parents are just so secure, and wanted to make sure I'm safe. They kept telling me "there are robbers there", and "there is racism". I keep telling them, "well, isn't that the same as America?" I may have a "goofy" personality, but I'm very responsible. After showing my parents this fourm, they've began to accept the fact I'm going to college there. I don't mean to change the topic of my thread, but has anyone been to ICU? I know someone who goes there, and he says it's lots of fun, but I would like to have more feedback from others as well. Thanks ^_^

??? 2009/1/21 08:22
Robbers? Where did your parents hear that? Of course Japan is not crime-free by any means, but the rate of violent crime is much lower here than in the US, and the chances of you being robbed are minuscule- mugging is very rare.

bikes and umbrellas 2009/1/21 08:36
Speaking of robberies, there are very few in Japan. However, exceptions are umbrellas and bicycles. Ordinary people take others away just like that, and some don't even think it's stealing!

If you're going to carry an umbrella, either carry a cheap one, or don't let go of your precious one.

Like I said, I used to live in Mitaka area where the land is flat and ideal for bicycles. In the 3 years I lived there, I had 5 bikes stolen, including once from my very own parking lot.

If you're going to live in Mitaka area, bikes are handy so do use one. But be sure to double-lock it, and if it happens to get stolen, do report to your local "koban" police booth (If you don't have a "hanko" personal stamp for your police report, you will be asked for your forefinger-print). 2 out of the 5 thefts, I got my bikes back through the police.

Also, try to keep your room tidy. Although there are very few armed robbery, thieves do aim homes that are abandoned and messy. In the several years that my husband lived alone in Mitaka area, his apartment room was robbed a few times and once he didn't even realise it since the room was so messy from the first place!

Other than that, you may drop your wallet and someone will pick it up and take it to the police for you, you may forget your belongings on a train and be able to pick it up at a station. Watch out as you would else where, and you'll be okay. And I hope you'd be nice to others as they would be to you.

Sorry to bother your thread. I hope someone can post their experiences at ICU.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

website 2009/1/21 14:57
There is a website I enjoyed reading last year called "what bugs me about japan". Just google it & you'll find it. It was done by a Spanish guy who taught in japan for 3 years and it's a very affectionate but detailed commentary on all those little cultural differences that might drive you crazy but at the same time are the spice of life. ;-)
by Jlo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread