Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can partner of foreigner get a DP? 2009/1/19 13:58
I am American and have accepted a job in Japan. I am in a committed relationship but unmarried. I know the MOFA website says only married can get DP, but I wanted to know if there are any exceptions. TIA
by James (guest)  

... 2009/1/19 15:11
Do you mean "Dependent" status? I assume your partner is also non-Japanese.

As far as I know, you need to be married for your partner to be eligible for "Dependent" status, just like there is no "fiance" visa for Japan. So far I have never heard of any exception.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/1/20 18:34
Thanks for that answer. Yes, my partner/significant other is also non-japanese.

Just hoping that maybe there is an avenue for exceptions. However, knowing how Japanese are wont to question the rule or the system, my hopes are not high.
by james (guest) rate this post as useful

Not only in Japan but also in USA 2009/1/20 18:57
knowing how Japanese are wont to question the rule or the system, my hopes are not high
I have a friend who was in the same situation except he wanted to accept a job in USA, and of course US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) refused a visa for his girlfriend, both were non-US citizens. This is not a japanese only way to see things.
by Banana Republic rate this post as useful

Dependent visa 2009/1/20 18:57
James,

No, there are no exceptions, so I'm afraid your partner will have to obtain a visa on his/her own merits.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread