Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

birth control pills to Japan 2009/1/21 02:18
ILm traveling to Japan and taking birth Control pills too, should I ask some proof of these before ILll arrive to Japan? Problems at toll?
by kupikupoppo (guest)  

Not restricted 2009/1/21 08:17
You can bring your prescription if you have one, otherwise don't worry about it. I sometimes bring in 6 months supply or more of birth control pills with me when I come back into Japan.

It is not a restricted medication so you do not need to declare it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

but... 2009/1/29 16:20
I hope they donLt think these are some drugs or so, because itLs written in other language than English. i hope they wonLt send me back to my home country...
by wtf (guest) rate this post as useful

not to worry 2009/1/29 17:28
Birth control pill packs tend to look quite similar, regardless of origin. My current packs have Dutch on them, but anyone who has seen birth control packs before would recognise them instantly.

I really don't think they will mistake them for morphine or speed.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

actually 2010/6/5 12:34
If you want to bring a one (1) month supply of birth control pills to Japan, just make sure you have a copy of the prescription. This is simple.

If you want to bring more than one month's supply, you need to request a Yakkan Shomei from the Japanese government. A Yakkan Shomei is a form stating that you are allowed to bring your medicine. To request it, you need to fill out some paperwork (doctor's prescription, description of medication, etc.). If the paperwork is filed properly, any request for birth control pills will most certainly be approved. I'd recommend filing at least 1 month prior to your trip, preferably 2 months in advance. For more on Yakkan Shomei, see here: http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

If you choose to bring 1+ months of any prescription medicine, there is of course a good chance that no one at customs will notice. But if you're unlucky enough that they search your luggage or something, you can be deported for this.

Alternatively, you can have someone from home mail you your medicine in 1 month increments, with a copy of your doctor's prescription included in the package. Again, if it's sent 1 month at a time, this is legal.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

it shouldn't be an issue 2010/6/7 12:33
I went to Japan in April with a variety of prescription medications that I unfortunately needed plus the pill. I declared medications on the form on entering Japan and was asked in immigration what I had with me, they were quite happy and didn't even want to see them. I had made sure to take everything in its original package just in case but it was really no issue.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/7 18:03
To guest,

I agree with pacifictonz and Sira.

As birth control pills can be bought without prescription in some countries outside Japan (unless you are taking them for therapeutic purposes), and they are not a restricted medication/substance even in Japan, and there are mail order companies that send them to Japan, I do not expect any problem even if you brought in several months' supplies with you.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread