Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing emails 2009/1/26 14:28
I'll try to keep this one short. One of the people I met through the language exchange ads gave me the email address to his cell and asked that I send mails there. Since then, he's changed it twice without informing me (I know cause one day I'll try to send an email and get a 550).

While it is just a penpal thing, I've never had a problem getting along (at least, to my knowledge). So, the question then: By changing it without telling me, is he (probably) saying that he's not interested in exchanging emails anymore?

Of course, I know each person is an individual, but I'm just wondering if it's possibly a nonconfrontational-ish way of trying to end communications.
by Winterfell  

I changed 2009/1/26 17:30
I changed my mobile phone email address a few times because I was inundated with spam and for me, that was the most effective way to fight it. Maybe that's a reason?

Of course, you may also be on the same course by saying that it's a non-confronting way of ending communications. Just curious though, how would you still know his email address if he changed it without mentioning it to you?
by Psycho Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2009/1/27 00:54
Is he Japanese?
Changing cellphone email address frequently and notifying it to limited friends in the contact list
is something often seen in Japanese.

But I don't suppose he is really not interested in exchanging email with you,
but just had no idea how to write email renewal notification in English as one do in Japanese,
and got shy and reluctant in notifying you.
by dice-geist (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm. 2009/1/27 09:08
Mike: First time around, I was surprised at the error and sent an email to his webmail account asking if something was wrong, and then yeah.

dice: That's actually not too encouraging--he is, of course, Japanese, but all the communication we've done has been exclusively in Japanese, so.

Thanks for the input.
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

Yes 2009/1/30 20:40
I have changed my keitai (cell) address to lose someone I was not interested in. Japanese usually take the hint.
by Alexander Parras rate this post as useful

..... 2009/1/30 21:04
A lot of these casual "penpal" sites are not taken seriously so young Japanese have a habit of abandoning them quickly. Maybe you shouldn't try to be too serious and just find another ketiai "friend"?
by Natsuki (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/31 10:33
Alexander: heh, yeah, at first I completely missed it but that hint is what lead me to post here seeking confirmation. Ah well.

Natsuki: yeah, I gave up after reading dice-giests's post. I also don't particularly care for the mode, this one just happened to be to a keitai. (Actually, I think I prefer reg email come to think of it). Anyway, thanks again for the responses
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread