Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

im applying for permanent visa? 2009/1/26 19:40
im living now with my friend, is there a possibility that i can have permanent visa when i apply for it? i have 3 years spouse visa and my wife and i live on different address?
by marimars  

... 2009/1/26 19:52
I assume that you refer to "permanent residence status".

i have 3 years spouse visa and my wife and i live on different address?

Theoretically, it is possible to get permanent residence if you are married to a Japanese national for many years and have lived in Japan for a multiple years (I think as little as one year - in theory).

But the rule of thumb is that it usually takes at least five years for spouses of Japanese nationals until they get granted permanent residence. If you have a clean vest and made valuable contributions to Japanese society, you might be granted it earlier than that. Likewise, if you have caused any problems in the past and/or your income is not very high, it might take longer than five years.

The fact that you live separate from your wife could have a negative impact in case the separation is due to a bad relation between the two of you. It should not have a negative impact, though, if it is due to a temporary job relocation or similar.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread