Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Civil partenership between 2 men? 2009/1/31 09:33
I would like to know whether it could be possible for two guys to do a civil partnership like in Uk or A PACS like in France in other to obtain the right to live with their lover in Japan.
by abifrench  

Partnerships 2009/1/31 12:00
abifrench,

You are free to live with whoever you like in Japan, but there is no legal recognition of same-sex marriages or partnerships.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/31 14:20
And we cant expect any legal advantage/disadvantage of the same-sex partership to be set up in Japan for the time being.

You will be considered as your living together as friends. Thats all.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

nothing legal 2009/1/31 16:48
As above, you can live with whomever you like- I know a number of gay couples who live together- but the government does not recognise same sex partnerships.

The only places where you may not be allowed to live together are the "state housing" complexes and those run by companies like UR for example, where in most of the buildings you have to be legally considered family members to live together. The same goes for unmarried heterosexual couples.

There will also be the prejudices of individual landlords to overcome but I imagine that is the same in many countries.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/31 17:47
I wonder if this is what the original poster meant: if one partner gets a job offer to work in Japan, would there be some kind of visa status that would allow his same-sex partner to come over together with him to and live in Japan?

If that was the intention of the question, once again the answer is unfortunately no; Dependent visa status is granted only to "married" spouse of a non-Japanese national who is in Japan on another visa, and Japan does not recognize same-sex marriage; there is no fiance visa for "conventional" couples either. So, abifrench, if you are coming to Japan on an employer-sponsored visa, your partner, in order for him to be able to stay in Japan with you, would need to arrange for his own visa status, meaning finding an employer himself, or enroling in a school for a student visa. (Of course, certain nationalities get short-term Temporary Visitor Status, but you cannot work on that visa.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Visa or?? 2009/1/31 19:33
I read the original post as AK did. Someone wondering about a spousal visa for their significant other.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

not possible here 2009/1/31 20:17
a PACS like in France in other to obtain the right to live with their lover in Japan.
Let me tell you that as far as I know the french PACS (civil partnership) does absolutely not give the foreign (extra-european) partner of a french national the right to get an alien card and the right to live in France. I knew a brazilian guy who was denied to right to live in France with is French same-sex partner. It was not created to give the right to get an alien card in France. In Japan is it actually impossible to get an alien card for a same sex partner even if one is japanese and there is no way for 2 foreigners to have the right to get a Resident Card if one got it. It is the same for heterosexual couples who are not married, if one get a job in Japan the partner can not get a ''dependant visa''. Only married and heterosexual couples according to japanese immigration.
Actually I know quite well France and it is the same thing there, not only in Japan.
by Banana Republic rate this post as useful

reply to this thread